Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Studying- looking for help from someone who is currently studying in NZ

Default Studying- looking for help from someone who is currently studying in NZ

Hello,
    This is basically a question for those who are studying right now in NZ. I would like to go to the University of Auckland, but how expensive is it? I would like to do a conjoint degree, but how expensive is this. How do you pay for your tuition fees--like where do you get the money? I just hope I can afford to study, but I know I will have to take out loans, I just want to know the general cost of everything, because I plan on studying up to my doctorate degree. Thanks everyone!

Our daughter was not eligible for student loans until she was a permanent resident for two years; that is the normal way. There is also an option of applying for student benefit.

Re actual costs you should get appropriate answers from the varsity directly.

A quick round the uni's website brings up a lot of the info you've asked for.

Auckland Uni lists fees here:
    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/f...atters/cs-fees

..and here is info about living costs:
    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/cs-fees-faq#s2c13

..international scholarship info:
    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/pid/la...ns-and-funding

...international students' office:
    http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/f...onal-students/

Click click.

ralf-nz: I am not a PR, nor do I have any connections to anyone or anything in NZ whatsoever. So, I never suspected I would be eligible for any government-funded program.
    Sophiedb: thanks for the info, i already read most of the website, but it's all just university info, i'm looking to know from an actual student on how much they pay, how they pay for it, etc, to give me an idea of how things work, because the university's website doesn't really give examples or anything.
    thanks for the replies.

Leafay, good to see you that you already gathered information; many just don't do that.
    For real living costs you could check on the pages from INZ or Statistics New Zealand (http://www.stats.govt.nz/). In addition the diverse student associations should be able to provide you with some substantial information on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafay View Post
    Hello,
    How do you pay for your tuition fees--like where do you get the money?

Most NZ Students pay for their fees and up to $1000 'course related costs' (text books etc.) with a student loan from the NZ government. This is interest free while you are studying, and while living in NZ after you have graduated. Once you are earning over the threshold in NZ (about $19000/annum) repayments (10c in the $ over the threshold) are taken from your pay before you see the money. As you are not a permanent resident you will not be able to get a Student Loan.

Some students work in the summer and make enough money to fund their fees for the next year, but as you'll be paying international student fees that will obviously be a lot harder.

You cannot get the student allowance as well until you have been here as a PR for 2 years.

Here's a quote from dilanium, who is doing veterinary studies, posting on this old thread. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-23982.html

The tuition costs depend on what you want to study. I pay $42,000 NZD/year for my course, but I think it's one of the most expensive.

They say you need $10,000NZD/year to live on, but that depends on your area and lifestyle. I'm sure people can survive on that, but I sure can't, but then I have a more established lifestyle and live with my husband.

Your profile doesn't say where you are from, but if you are from the US you can get US student loans for the major schools. I know Massey University's international office is very experienced dealing with US student loans. I assume most of the other major universities would know how to deal with them as well.

ralf-nz: thanks for the website. nice statistics.
    TJH and Jeffanar: thanks for the info, but as i had previously stated, I do not have any connections to NZ, so I know I will not be eligible for any type of government-aid program.
    JandM: thanks for the little bit of info, I saw that too. I'm quite surprised at the cost for a year.
    I spoke to a representative from the UoA, and my estimated(this is not a final thing) tuition cost for my conjoint BA/BCom program would be NZ$28,100 or so a year, plus extra fees. Then I have books, living expenses, etc.
    To me, NZ$28,100 a year is not expensive compared to other universities in the US, as most state universities charge around NZ$20,000 for one degree, not a conjoint, per year.
    It is kind of disappointing to me that the NZ government doesn't really have any incentives to come and study in NZ for international students, if supposedly there is a skill shortage. Oh well, NZ is a great country and I will have to find a way to pay my tuition fees. This is where I want to go.

Seeing your location, I wondered - are you not eligible for a US government student loan, like dilanium mentioned? About the level of her fees, medical degrees (human or animal) are always very costly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast