Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunscreen

Question Sunscreen

So we have landed in CHC in mid winter. However yesterday was really sunny. Nobody burnt but I was wondering if we should be wearing sunscreen when outside at this time of year.

In Scotland it did normally become necessary until April, but there was heat in the sun and this is like April weather.

What is normal for here (if there is such a thing) please?

Will put it on faces and hands today just to be sure.

We don't but I do use a moisturiser with a good spf, unless your out in the sun for a long stretch with bare skin I wouldn't bother now but it can never hurt

Yup same here, I always use a moisturiser with 15+ sunscreen in it, but in the winter months none of my other skin is exposed to the sun

Here - http://www.osh.dol.govt.nz/order/cat...s/consi014.pdf - the link to the Construction Bulletin "Skin Cancer (Melanoma)" provided by OSH.

I've got to second ralf-nz here, especially since you are from Scotland

Yep, intially at least, but it's strong down here, so I wear some whenever outside unless it's peeing it down.

Skin Cancer charity one works for me.

There's no harm. You can get lighter ones that are just like a moisturiser for your body and there are lots with SPF for the face. I always wear SPF face moisturiser but am never outside long enough at all at the moment to bother with it anywhere else! So I'm lucky if I get my 15-20mins a day as it is

Normally wear SPF 15 in moisturiser on my face, but added SPF30 for the kids today and the less sticky clear SPF20 for me and OH today. One of the boys and I have a skin which tans, the other and Dad tend to burn more. One advantage is that we have arrived after some good sun in Scotland so are all carrying tans at the moment anyway. Was just interested to know what the current advice is at this time of year.

Thanks Everyone

Tans don't stop skin cancer, and the UV light is less filtered in NZ than the UK. My Kiwi family have sunscreen as a part of the routine whenever going out, regardless of the time of year. Don't forget sunglasses, too.

The flip side to the sunscreen routine is that a high proportion of children in NZ have vitamin D deficiency. Vit D is necessary for calcium absorption into the bones. A paediatrician a friend's family has seen recommends children get at least 20 minutes of sunshine a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast