Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first impressions

Default My first impressions

So we're finally here, as my partner (atuffchick) posted in another thread!! Wow!!

After a long flight it was nice to land on a beautiful day yesterday, the weather was absolutely fantastic. Going through customs and MAF was a breeze. I was so impressed by how professional and friendly everyone was.

So far we've had a great time exploring the area where we're temporarily subletting an apt - Freemans Bay. We've walked to the CBD and back and around the area (hills hills = sore shins and calves... ) and we've settled a few things - bank accounts, cellphones, etc. Our very first meal in NZ was fish and chips -

Today has been quite wet and a little chilly but much more pleasant than we would expect a Winter day to be. We went to an open house to get a sense of pricing and such and we connected with a realtor we really liked and who'll be showing us around so we can find a more permanent place to stay. We did some grocery shopping (was able to find everything we need) and stopped for a cup of coffee which turned into a nice long chat with the coffee shop owner, an immigrant himself, and one of his Kiwi friends.

So my first impressions so far are all very positive. Everyone has been friendly, we're feeling relaxed and happy, and so far things have worked out quite smoothly. I'm enjoying the food, and loving how laid back everything seems to be. Looking forward to the week and more exploring. And I definitely love the weather, it may be cold and damp but it's not the freezing chill of the East Coast winters that I dealt with for the last seven or so years.

Cool Great news !

Welcome To NZ :

Hey JadM,
    Really nice Post and all the best for u,
    i like the way of ur positive approach hope to join u guys soon in NZ
    TK Cr

I think the good wishes are for bananamuffin and atuffchick, aren't they?

Hi Guys

You have achieved a lot. I'm finding winter here very mild in comparison to Winters in the UK too.

Enjoy your week.

All the best!

That's good news! I'm so happy you've had such a positive beginning! Keep us posted on your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamee & Co View Post
    Hi Guys

I'm finding winter here very mild in comparison to Winters in the UK too.
    Likewise. This is our 5th winter here, still not used to the fact that it doesn't get really cold and miserable for weeks/months on end. Yesterday for example here in Levin it was a beautiful day, blue skies, sunshine, not a breath of wind and 15 degrees. Not bad for mid-winter, in fact not bad for mid-summer in Scotland.............

Thanks all. Yeah, we're loving it, even the hilly walks!! Today we got some more stuff sorted, including applying for IRD numbers, getting approved for credit cards (coming in the mail), my partner got her US to NZ drivers license application in and her temporary Kiwi license with the permanent one coming in the mail soon, and I got myself sorted to take the driving theory test on Friday - watch out Auckland!!

Walked down to the ferry station, and just generally enjoyed walking around and exploring some of the stores in the CBD. Really excited to see all the outdoor goods stores for camping/hiking/outdoor gear and such Got some delicious sushi for lunch. Auckland really is a happening city with a very nice warm feel to it, even when it's raining!!

Now that we have most of that stuff sorted, and my partner doesn't start work for another two weeks or so, we're probably going to spend some time looking for more permanent digs, haven't quite decided where. We both really like the idea of leaving close to the CBD but we're thinking the commute to and from work will be too crazy for her (South Auckland) and I'm not quite sure where I'll be working yet. But we have to figure that all out.

Anyway, so far so good, we're super jazzed to have so much sorted in just a few days. Looking forward to just exploring some more and visiting some of the suburbs of Auckland and whatever else strikes our fancy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast