Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Zones

Question High School Zones

We are wondering if there is a way of bending the rules to ensure our dd gets into the school we want.

We don't live in the zoned area
    We don't have any other children attending
    In fact there is absolutely nothing going for us really to ensure she gets in, so what do we do now???

Does anyone else have ideas or tips they may have used? If anyone feels they'd rather PM me, go for it

We don't want to do anything illegal, just try to get the best for our child.

Some schools hold a ballot, and if your number/name is drawn you're in. Otherwise, move into the zone. We were in the same situation. We waited for the results of the ballot, then placed an out of zone application. Be aware the school checks on the authenticity of everything for example; rental agreement, a phone or power bill etc. And when the rental agreement renewal was due, they were right on us for the new one. One day the school called and wanted know when we were going to give them a copy of the new rental agreement. I explained that my husband had personally dropped it off into the school office. The woman proceeded to ask further questions about our situation, definitely a fishing expedition! The Ministry of Education takes it all very seriously.

After being at the school for a year, I believe the child has a right to remain there no matter where they live.

There's taking it seriously, then there's going right over the top. There was protest at national level about this. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7341179.stm

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    After being at the school for a year, I believe the child has a right to remain there no matter where they live.
    My 2 cents worth; I would check with the school first. Our daughter's school made it official just this year, that we have to live in zone for 2 years and then can move out of zone and still attend.

definitely dont use a friends address in the zone as that would be cheating

I'd make an appointment and visit the school first to see what the options are in terms of ballots etc. The zone system and its' enforcement varies widely across NZ and obviously is dependent on population so a school that was difficult to get into a few years ago might be needy for students now - just my observations with a few schools locally

Hope it works out for the best Jeannie

Karenx

Some schools are very flexible about zones if they are presented with students they want. Other schools taking the zoning more seriously and this probably varies from year to year as well depending on how full the school is etc. Try and suss out local knowledge regarding the flexibility of the zone but in a discrete way and use any 'angle' you can! Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    There's taking it seriously, then there's going right over the top. There was protest at national level about this. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7341179.stm

Heh. Yes. I remember this one. It was my department that did it though thankfully no one I actually know. The legal guy who'd advised them it was ok actually tried to maintain that he was in the right *head!desk*

M daughter has just started at a school that is zoned and we live out of zone. We visited the school on a couple of occassions and submitted an out of zone application which was accepted. Bonus is that my son will now be able to attend that school.

Would add, with my daughter going for the Cambridge Examinations (which she wanted to do) this was her route in.

kejktfc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast