Thread: Shipping experiences from Western Canada

Default Shipping experiences from Western Canada

Residency approval is in!! Time for planning to hop the ditch.

I simply can't find any recent threads on shipping options/experiences from western canada to NZ. I know there are several (ex) Canucks around here who likely could shed some light on this and share their experiences.

We are looking at shipping a 40' container from Vancouver, BC (after having hauled our stuff about 2800km south). However, we would also love to hear from Alaskans with alternatives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you start at..Thunder Bay?

Ops sry....just realized the south part.
    Last edited by Addicted to NZ; 7th July 2010 at 11:47 AM.

Congratulations on the residency!

We are south of you but we are using Crown Relocations. Their web is www.crownrelo.com and we have been very happy thus far. They sent out 3 different local companies to handle the packing and give us an opinion. It was interesting to see the differences. The communications with them have been excellent.

Default SDV Logistics

5 years ago I shipped a small 20ft container out of Vancouver to Lyttleton. I used SDV Logistics and though they were not the cheapest quote compared to other carriers, I was very impressed with how the container arrived.

I can't speak for their service today but I can say is that they provided me with a freshly painted and built Hamburg Sud container. I also used Cratex for building the inside partition and securing of the car inside the container. (Do not believe you can do this yourself as MAF is very strict on the type of wood used inside the container).

I specifically asked for the most direct route to NZ. Which was from Vancouver -> Auckland -> Chch (Lyttleton). When the container arrived, I was so impressed that not a drop of water had dripped inside the container (container sweating is a common problem in trans-oceanic sailing). It was like the day I loaded the container up and left it.

You can Google SDV Logistics for their address and details. Word of warning, I don't believe shipping companies are that consistent among another - that is you get bad eggs regardless who you pick - it's more of luck.

Thanks all. Will check suggested shippers.

hi we just used seven seas worldwide for my husbands stuff, going from vancouver to auckland. Can't fault them, very professional and by far the cheapest we found. Online quote takes a few moments. x