Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High BMI

Default High BMI

I am lucky to have a job to go to in NZ and as such applied for a Work to Residence Visa as my employer (Dunedi City Council) an acredited employer had suggested. However I have a high BMI and my application has been refered to the immigration service consultant, Has anyone out there suffered a similar fate and was the outcome sucessfull.....

Default BMI

Hi Colin,

I'm sure it'll be ok. They just need to do a couple of extra tests, to make sure you're not going to cost their health service money for a while.

On the subject of high BMI, NZ must be home to some of the fatest children in the world, some of these kids are giant. All seems to be brown kids

Many of the Pacific Islanders are very large but they do have a different attitude towards size and "big is beautiful" (can I live there ??!)

Default High BMI

Foolsgold
    Thanks I am working hard to dosomething about it but NZIS have now asked for a report from my doctor so watch this space guys.......

Colin,
    Hope everything works its self out for you re your medical. Hope you don't mine me asking but what counts as high for a BMI?
    I've done all the usuall internet calculators of BMI and OH comes out at 30 which is alway described as either high or overweight but he used to do a lot of weight training so will always come up with that result.
    My BMI is not much better, I was just made that way!
    I'm thinking it will be diets all round over the next few months for us

Default HI BMI

Debbie,
    It would seem anything over 35 is cause for further investigation so you and your OH should be fine. Mine however is closer to 39 and potentially I could have a lot of work to do. I have since joined the Gym started the GI diet staarted playing golf again...I just hope its not too late...

ops:

I've just got home from having my medical and I too have a high BMI about 35 I think. I have to go and have a glucose test tomorrow to see if I am diabetic. £40 for the test alone!!! The same test which costs nothing in lloyds pharmacies-I had one last year I'm fine.
    According to the charts I will have to lose 50lbs to even get into the overweight bracket!
    Whilst I except I am overweight, I'm 18stone, I am not obese (cue people saying oh he must be if he's that heavy, trust me I ain't) According to the chart I should be 12stone for my height -that ain't never going to happen.
    I ride my bike a lot, I run, I'm pretty fit and active but because I don't fit in the box I'm branded.
    I too am worried that this will kill any chance I have of getting in, I will keep you updated.
    Oh by the way so far the cost of the medicals and xray (only 1 the other half is pregnant) and the blood tests = £290 2 adults 1 child.

I've just got home from having my medical and I too have a high BMI about 35 I think. I have to go and have a glucose test tomorrow to see if I am diabetic. £40 for the test alone!!! The same test which costs nothing in lloyds pharmacies-I had one last year I'm fine.
    According to the charts I will have to lose 50lbs to even get into the overweight bracket!
    Whilst I except I am overweight, I'm 18stone, I am not obese (cue people saying oh he must be if he's that heavy, trust me I ain't) According to the chart I should be 12stone for my height -that ain't never going to happen.
    I ride my bike a lot, I run, I'm pretty fit and active but because I don't fit in the box I'm branded.
    I too am worried that this will kill any chance I have of getting in, I will keep you updated.
    Oh by the way so far the cost of the medicals and xray (only 1 the other half is pregnant) and the blood tests = £290 2 adults 1 child.

Default High BMI

Hayden,
    I think that you should be OK if your BMI is 35 I am ashamed to say that mine was higher. My doctor did a Glucose intolerance test before I went for my medical but I was Glucose Intolerant ( my father is Diabetic). I have since started the Gi diet joined the gym and when not in the gym I walk everywhere I have lost weight I admit I feel better for it and things are starting to fit better...However this does not seem to be enough for the NZIS I learned today that their consultant Physician wants yet more in formation from me and so the delay continues.
    I wonder how reliable this BMI thing is anyway, my son has just completed a course in Outdoor Leisure his lecturer's are very anti BMI. I could be a 22 stone rugby player does that mean that because I have a high BMI that I am about to drop dead with heart disease or suffer strokes due to high blood pressure?????

I was appointed to my job in NZ in march they expected the visa process to take three weeks HA!

Sorry all I just feel a bit bitter and twisted at the moment.... I only hope that my employer will understand....

Hayden
    Sorry to change the subject and I do hope you're ok with your BMI - I just notice you said your other half is pregnant. I am too and am really wondering how this affects getting PR. Have you been told anything? (is the baby due before you go?) I'm really not sure if they'll insist on waiting until the baby's born before granting PR. If you do know anything, let me know. Sorry about that slight tangent!
    Kate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast