Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Australians move to NZ

Default Australians move to NZ

Are there any Australians move to New Zealand to live in this forum? I would like to know if Australians are entitled to free health care in NZ immediately when they arrive in NZ.

In the MOH website, it says Australian citizens and permanent residents who live, or are intending to live in New Zealand for two years or more are eligible for publicly funded health services. Proof that New Zealand will be your principal place of residence for two years or more (eg, work contract, house long-term lease, ownership, or mortgage).

Anyone here experienced similar situation like this? I would like to hear your advice.

Thanks.

You might be the first Australian to do that.....!

There are a couple of Australian members here making or have made their way to NZ and there are heaps of Australians here (ignore Kiwimac). You could try calling/contacting the MOH, they'll probably be quite easy to deal with, surprisingly so coming from Australia

I am one of the Aussies that have been lurking here. Been going through a rollercoaster of highs and lows whilst deciding whether to make the leap across the pond.

We love NZ, for us the South Island is the bees knees. We would like to live in the Central Otago region and have been wondering about the medical facility side of things. This is not something we have looked into when we have been there in the past mainly cause we were doing it as a vacation. Deciding to live there is a whole different kettle of fish.

Hello and welcome.

I found this link. http://www.nzembassy.com/australia/r...nz/health-care Reading this, it looks as though an Australian can get the full range of health care at once, as long as they can demonstrate in some way their firm intention to be a long-term resident in NZ. What that would be in any family's particular case would vary according to their circumstances, I suppose.

I know that in Australia my NZ citizen husband had to prove his intention to live in Oz and we did this by showing shipping inventory and job contract. You could also show tenancy or home ownership papers in Australia, I'm sure it'll be similar here.

Well we do intend to own and operate a B&B, not sure if it will pan out the way we want it to but we have always wanted to run a B&B. It is a lot of work but worthwhile work. So I guess that would show our intention of a long term stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    Well we do intend to own and operate a B&B, not sure if it will pan out the way we want it to but we have always wanted to run a B&B. It is a lot of work but worthwhile work. So I guess that would show our intention of a long term stay.
    Oh yes, I should think buying a business would nail that one!

Yes, you've got that covered, then.

Hi NZNT,

I am australian, and moved to New Zealand over a year ago, and recently returned to Oz..(although we are planning to go back next year)....

My husband is from New Zealand, but we both had received free health care over in nz, although you do have to pay to go to the doctor..

If you are an Australian citizen you have the right to work and move freely between both countries, have health care (such as hospital etc), the only thing that is tougher is any Family or government assistance, they make you wait for that..

Good luck, hope you go for the move!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast