View Poll Results: Does it get cold in NZ?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (nearest city Auckland)

30 30.93%
  • No (nearest city Auckland)

8 8.25%
  • Yes (nearest city Wellington)

32 32.99%
  • No (nearest city Wellington)

1 1.03%
  • Yes (nearest city Christchurch)

17 17.53%
  • No (nearest city Christchurch)

1 1.03%
  • Yes (nearest city Dunedin)

5 5.15%
  • No (nearest city Dunedin)

3 3.09%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does it get cold in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    I am from Europe and - now was - used to temperatures ranging regularly from -20°C till +30°C. Compared to this Dunedin (Coastal Otago) really is moderate and even Central Otago is no problem.

Re Coldness in particular: In Europe we had weeks during which the maximum day time temperature stayed below -10°C. Here in Dunedin the absolute minimum night temperature since records started is -7°C; and even in similar situations now the day time temperature rises well above zero.
    That's why we're not comparing as it's not so much a case of, 'Is New Zealand one of the coldest places in the World?', but more a case of 'Would it be a good idea have heating and bring a coat for a NZ winter?'.

I did the poll as I noticed that when people asked whether it got cold in NZ they would often get the reply that it is 'shorts and T-shirts weather' all year round. Whereas I have no doubt for some that is true, (often children I've noticed!), I wanted to see what the majority experienced in the winter months - July & August.

I also wanted to see whether location made a big difference.

Cheers

Tia

It's also quite interesting as we get to see where most of the NZ forum member live.....I'm nosey like that!

Cheers

Tia

Inside or out?

But seriously, if you have have the right clothes and are walking about outside, I doubt you'd get cold in Auckland. Sitting around inside is another matter, whatever you wear. (I found double socks to be helpful in our first rental). Luckily, I have an energetic toddler, so sitting around isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    That's why we're not comparing as it's not so much a case of, 'Is New Zealand one of the coldest places in the World?', but more a case of 'Would it be a good idea have heating and bring a coat for a NZ winter?'.

I did the poll as I noticed that when people asked whether it got cold in NZ they would often get the reply that it is 'shorts and T-shirts weather' all year round. Whereas I have no doubt for some that is true, (often children I've noticed!), I wanted to see what the majority experienced in the winter months - July & August.

I also wanted to see whether location made a big difference.

Cheers

Tia
    For the pupils it is generally "'shorts and T-shirts weather' all year round." - that for sure here!

And as I wrote, even in winter the temperature is generally rising quite nicely. So when in addition the sun is shining - no heating & no coats!

Well I was walking around most of this week at lunchtime in just shirt / polo shirt (well obviously trousers as well, but you know what I mean). Admittedly, I walked past a lot of natives in scarves whilst doing this and a few people did comment "Arrived recently I assume" regarding my summer attire.

But then last Sunday morning then I definately went with long fingered gloves for the 7:30am club bike ride, and it wasn't that warm sat outside the cafe afterwards.

But then I prefer the cold to the heat, so it's not just where you are, what you're used to, how you dress, but also who you are as to how you percieve temperature.

After a ten days in Christchurch our perception has been that it has been more autumn/spring rather than winter. Mornings can be cold, but it is warm by lunchtime/early afternoon. Housing is colder inside than we are used to, coming from insulation and central heating in the UK. Overall the weather has been kinder in general and a bad day here is a normal central Scotland winter day.

Perception though of cold does vary. I have a friend from central Canada used to -20s and lower in the winter. However she reckoned that she had never been so cold as when on the NW coast of Scotland in winter due to the damp cold.

I was used to much lower temp winters than I've experienced here, but I feel much colder here because of the lack of insulation. My house is colder, so I'm colder. And since it's harder to warm up I feel colder almost all of the time.

Perception though of cold does vary. I have a friend from central Canada used to -20s and lower in the winter. However she reckoned that she had never been so cold as when on the NW coast of Scotland in winter due to the damp cold.
    When you can live most of the time indoors where it's centrally heated, you don't notice the cold. It's only cold when you have to go outside which in Canada, you limit yourself how long to stay outside. The lifestyle is different to adjust to waking up in a house with indoor temperatures below 15°C, then heat up the he rooms, then overnight it goes cold, - the body quickly says it's cold.

22¢/kW/hr for electricity is simply incomparable to 6¢ what they pay all across Canada.

It's a good thought Super BQ, but this girl came from an old property which her parents were renovating which did not have central heating, only a single log burner.

She lived in the country, not in the centre of town and travelled daily, outdoors to school and had to clear snow etc.

Canadian log burners are more efficient and produce more heat though.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast