Thread: health / research jobs

Question health / research jobs

Hi everybody

My husband and I would like to move to New Zealand to work initially with a view to relocating permanently.
    I am a Research & Development Manager for the NHS. However, there do not appear to be the same roles in NZ because of the private healthcare system. I am happy to try something different as it is the lifestyle that we would mainly be moving for. Can anybody advise as to where I may find research / clinical trials managers / clinical trials coordinators / clinical governance jobs / etc???
    We have close family in NZ so expect this will help also, but anticipate finding a job being a stumbling block. My husband is a sports coach, but I think it is my role which will be the deciding factor.
    If you have any thoughts I would really appreciate them

Many thanks

Hello and welcome. We have quite a few medical members, so I'm sure you'll get some comments later when NZ is awake.

My wife was a clinical Audit Facilitator in the uK for the NHS. Now she is a lady of lesuire...both by choice and by lack of jobs...we have had to downsize our lifestyle to be in NZ

thanks for the reply mooncalf

from the small amount of research we've done so far it looks like I'm maybe best to email CV and covering letters to all the organisations employing people in roles I would/could do and seeing if they would potentially employ me coming from the UK if they were recruiting.

Does this seem a sensible thing to do??
    or are there any alternative suggestions on finding out the level of interest

thanks again everybody

I would target all of the major District Health Boards (DHBs), of which there are 20 http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/indexmh/dhb-links

Map of all the districts http://www.moh.govt.nz/dhbmaps

The NZ health system is not hugely dissimilar and copies a LOT from the NHS and whilst it's not exactly a 'joined up' national health service, it's most certainly not private.

Most DHBs will have a Clinical Governance Board, with a variety of participants who work and advise on best practice, clinical policy, quality, improved patient journey etc

Unfortunately, recruitment is fragmented and you won't find all of the jobs in one place and you do have to deal with each individual area, however districts such as the three in Auckland do collaborate and share some resources.

http://www.aucklandhealthjobs.co.nz/

Under the 'new' National Government, NZ is going through a major overhaul in health spending, much as in the UK, with the emphasis being more than ever on clinical leadership, improving patient outcomes, saving money and working smarter so I am sure you would be able to find something.

Question

We've got a good few contacts and organisations to get in touch with now. I am thinking of emailing CV's and covering letters to these organisations (DHB's / Uni research dept's / clinical trials units) to get an idea of whether they would employ somebody with my background from overseas or if they have plenty of responses within NZ. Do you think it is worthwhile??
    We are considering a 3 week trip to NZ in January to visit family and also visit prospective employers. Again, is this something I could mention in a covering letter showing my willingness to move?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by the pussy cat View Post
    We've got a good few contacts and organisations to get in touch with now. I am thinking of emailing CV's and covering letters to these organisations (DHB's / Uni research dept's / clinical trials units) to get an idea of whether they would employ somebody with my background from overseas or if they have plenty of responses within NZ. Do you think it is worthwhile??
    We are considering a 3 week trip to NZ in January to visit family and also visit prospective employers. Again, is this something I could mention in a covering letter showing my willingness to move?

Thanks again

For sure, you go for it!! I would however leave it until a bit nearer your visit. Bear in mind that January here is a very quiet time work wise, with school holidays and so many people on annual leave. If you could make it a few weeks later, early February is a good time, when the most recruitment activity takes place. Also in February the Public sector starts its annual budget rounds and will be making plans and recruiting resource for the year ahead.

There are a few clinical research jobs advertised on Seek. You could also search the quintiles website, that's a big wolrdwide clinical research company with offices in Auckland.
    Laura