Thread: 25th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.

Default 25th Anniversary of the Sinking of the Rainbow Warrior.

Most of us know about the French sinking of the Rainbow Warrior and death of the French photographer. But I wasn't aware of the ways the event shaped NZ's history. I didn't realise that NZ had been threatened with a trade embargo by the EU. This is worth a watch:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/vi...lery_id=112532

thanks for posting that Joolzr,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    Most of us know about the French sinking of the Rainbow Warrior and death of the French photographer. But I wasn't aware of the ways the event shaped NZ's history. I didn't realise that NZ had been threatened with a trade embargo by the EU. This is worth a watch:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/vi...lery_id=112532
    I still see it as an act of war and so have my own mini-embargo on French goods as far as there is a reasonable alternative!

And one of the, admittedly many, reasons I am about as anti-EU as it gets!

Several of hubby's friends and family were still so anti-France when we got married (on a ship, a few miles south of the Rainbow Warrior's final resting place...) that I was almost glad that my French rellies couldn't make it down to NZ for the wedding..

We already had one potential nightmare on our hands (hubby's divorced parents in a small-ish space for the first time in nearly 20 years) without encouraging an international incident. Though if certain of hubby's Maori relatives had come, there might have been anti-Pakeha comments instead *head!desk* cos y'know, they're all full-blooded n'all *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    Several of hubby's friends and family were still so anti-France when we got married (on a ship, a few miles south of the Rainbow Warrior's final resting place...) that I was almost glad that my French rellies couldn't make it down to NZ for the wedding..

We already had one potential nightmare on our hands (hubby's divorced parents in a small-ish space for the first time in nearly 20 years) without encouraging an international incident. Though if certain of hubby's Maori relatives had come, there might have been anti-Pakeha comments instead *head!desk* cos y'know, they're all full-blooded n'all *cough*
    Ahh the joys of weddings. We thought if we kept it small then we'd avoid a lot of grief, but it didn't work that way. We had one large table with all 27 of us round it, but instead of making the seating easier, ie no squables about which table people were on, then it became an a-level mathematical logistincs puzzle. If A cannot be next to C, but B has to be near E and F but F has to be at least 3 places away from G then how does D not become opposite E..... I'm not sure if the normal alcohol quota for weddings is the cause of the problems or a necessary mechanism to get through the day.

Sorry, great article, thanks for posting.

It was quite a shaping event, wasn't it?