Thread: Can I take my Kiwi Saver money back home with me?

Default Can I take my Kiwi Saver money back home with me?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't see it on my search.

I've just taken up an new job and like always I'm now in the Kiwi Saver System.

I really don't want to hear any pros or cons or anyone's opinions on whether I'd be better putting my money in other investments because to be honest It would all go over my head anyway. All I really want to know is if 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 years down the line I leave NZ and decide it is not for me can I transfer the money I've paid in to my Kiwi Saver scheme out of it and in to a plan back in the UK?

Like everyone although NZ is where I want to be for now and see myself living for many years to come I just don't know what life's going to throw at me and it's all so new right now that whose to say once that newness wears off I will still want to be here. So if I can't pull the money out should I wish to leave I may as well have the extra 2% in my pay packet to enjoy now while I'm here and can.

Yes, you can withdraw the money if you emigrate permanently. Details here.

OP great question!

Thanks thats great to know.

If anyone has transferd their kiwi saver or had problems doing so please could you post your experiances as I'm running out of time to opt out

Quote Originally Posted by Jo Jo View Post
    Yes, you can withdraw the money if you emigrate permanently. Details here.
    That's great news for me anyway, not that I plan to leave NZ once we're there (but again, you never know).

All my compulsory superannuation payments from time in Australia are still stuck there until I'm 65 *bleh*

Sophiedb, you will be able to shortly tranfer the aus pension to nz into your kiwi saver.

Great question! I was actually just wondering the same thing. I was reading about the Kiwi Saver and taxes trying to figure it all out. Thanks for asking it!

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer2003 View Post
    Sophiedb, you will be able to shortly tranfer the aus pension to nz into your kiwi saver.
    *happy dance*

Yay! I always thought that money would dwindle from maintenance fees into a puddle of nothing by the time I was old enough to draw it, but maybe it will be of some use one day after all. Thank you! Hubby will be happy too - he has even more in that pot than I do