Thread: From Brighton to Beachlands

Default From Brighton to Beachlands

Hiya, we are coming out in 70 days and after lots of research, a trip over last year we still can't work out where to live!

I really like Beachlands, I ideally want to be able to walk to the beach (do lots of sea swimming), and the OH is hoping to work in the CBD so with the ferry there we thought Beachlands sounded quite nice, but I can't find anyone else mentioning it.

The cost of houses is quite important too as we want to try to be mortgage free, or have a small mortgage so whilst Devonport & Takapuna are lovely they are too pricey for us, and further up to the bays means coming over the bridge which is a long journey for the OH - so many different things to consider!

Having lived in Brighton we want access to the big city but want to enjoy more space - we have somewhere for the first 2 weeks then are uncommitted so any advice would be great, 3 kids to consider as well (8,5 & 4 yrs!)

Thanks

I know all the beaches very well - so here goes...

Beachlands is a quiet "semi isolated" area near Formosa Golf Club, just south of Whitford (which housed one of Auckland's largest rubbish landfill dumps -not sure if still active). Sunkist bay is popular in Beachlands during summer, though it's a small beach, which I go to every year. But slightly further south on the main road is Kelley's creek/beach (out from the rugby/sport club) which is good for walks and "shallow kayaking" during summer (I saw bird protection nests (administered by NZ DOC in the Mangroves last year). Beware of the tidal beach - goes out a long way - so get to know tides/timing when walking at low tides (english workmate told me once, that NZ beaches are quite "tidal").

Further south is the popular Omana Park (turn sharp left at the bend)- has a small "animal farm", outside barbecues, kids outdoor gym, and coastal attractive beach (on R/H side when you first enter Omana park - the L/H beach faces a sloping hill that winds back to Kelly's creek) with kid's park. Gets saturated with people during summer. Further south is the popular Maraetai beach, jetty, and parks. Quite a coastal beach to the point at Duder's beach (Umupuia to local maori) at the marae. Try the large "Pipi's" that are picked from the beach (beware of local quota regulations by NZ MAF).

Can turnoff to Clevedon (which has craft stalls I think), and is well known for Outdoor Polo, and I think I saw a equestrian center somewhere nearby. Then slightly further to the popular and lengthy Kawakawa Bay (not to be confused with Kawakawa township in Northern NZ) - popular for boaties, family picnics, and some rock fishing. Drive down the end road slowly as narrow, to another popular but small beach. Hunua ranges, waterfall, and reservoir dams/catchment areas (that supply a large portion of Auckland water) are nearby - but need drive back through Clevedon - all worth a visit, e.g. Crossey's dam...

Now those beaches connect back (i.e. going North starting from Beachlands) via the Whitford estuary (and some creeks - notably the Mangemangeroa creek through native bush/reserve) to popular and more "suburban" beaches including Shelley Park beach, Howick beach, Cockle bay, Mellons bay, Eastern beach (Skiing), around Musick point to Bucklands Beach (small and large beaches). These are generally used for skiing, swimming, boating, and picnics...

As for shopping - Check online for Woolworths and Foodtown, or drive to Manukau City Center, Meadowlands Plaza (I think is closer), the larger Botany Downs, perhaps Howick township, or Highland Park, and Pakuranga Plaza...
    Last edited by pcsourcepoint; 16th July 2010 at 04:10 AM. Reason: more info

The system won't let me rep you, but thanks for the detailed post.

thank you that is wonderful information, lots to take in so will read and digest, and might ask more!

Hi there. We came from Herts almost 3 years ago. We too loved the look of Beachlands but when we looked at it we realised the commute was going to be a killer and one of the reasons for the move was to change things like that. There is a ferry from Beachlands but I think quite long and not too regular (you would need to check that, my memory isnt what it was). The thing about Auckland is the traffic is quite a shock when you first arrive. Totally different from the UK, the drivers are more aggressive and less inclined to 'let you in'! So Beachlands may not be the best place if you are going to work in the CBD. We too loved the sound of Devonport but ruled it out as it seemed too expensive and we wanted to be mortgage free! We we ended up in Devonport anyway, we DO have a mortgage but its so lovely here and the perfect place to bring up the kids. Dont rule Devonport out...there are cheaper houses here and the commute on the ferry to the CBD is like a dream! My best advice is keep an open mind. Check out all the places you like. Then make a decision. Good luck!!