Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manukau?

Default Manukau?

Looking at a job in Manukau. Any stories or suggestions on living, working, or commuting in this area (or nearby suburbs)? While we're on the subject, anyone know anything about working at MIT?

Quote Originally Posted by loboleven View Post
    Looking at a job in Manukau. Any stories or suggestions on living, working, or commuting in this area (or nearby suburbs)?
    Yup ....Don't!

(not trying to be nasty but it's reputation does proceed it!)

An extract from the first recent news report it took me 10 seconds to find

"On count one, we saw plenty of illustrations of sickening violence. Perhaps not the "sheer sadism" Judge Wade had spoken about, but a churning undercurrent of violence pervades Manukau, from the cases themselves, to the gang fights, to the confiscated weapons removed from the public on their way in by security guards."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10616465
    Last edited by Wooly_Cow; 15th July 2010 at 05:55 PM.

I must work in a different Manukau. Worked there for 3 1/2 years but would rather live out, as I do. Some very nice properties there but all a bit built up for me.

There are some worse places around such as Manurewa and, from what I've heard wellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Yup ....Don't!

(not trying to be nasty but it's reputation does proceed it!)

An extract from the first recent news report it took me 10 seconds to find

"On count one, we saw plenty of illustrations of sickening violence. Perhaps not the "sheer sadism" Judge Wade had spoken about, but a churning undercurrent of violence pervades Manukau, from the cases themselves, to the gang fights, to the confiscated weapons removed from the public on their way in by security guards."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10616465
    Don't listen to this idiot. That's like saying don't live in London because of Brixton or Manchester because of Moss Side.

There is Manukau the suburb and Manukau the city.

Manukau City is a big place and is one of the 4 main cities that make up Auckland. It goes from the rough (Mangere) to the very rich (Bucklands Beach). It just depends in which suburb you live, how much you can afford and how close to the nice beaches/work you want to live.

The MIT is in Otara which isn't a great suburb but just 10-15 mins drive away are some great places to live.

Quote Originally Posted by alan999 View Post
    There are some worse places around such as Manurewa and, from what I've heard wellington.
    Please do elaborate on the Wellington part. Thanks

We have a distant relative in Manukau, he is planning to move to Auckland mainly because his kids have grown up and he's looking for better education for them. I don't have any other info on quality of life but as someone just said...you can't judge a place just for couple of/few locations surrounding it.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    Please do elaborate on the Wellington part. Thanks
    I've never been but heard it described as hoon city although would consider the source wholely unreliable. Would imagine the WC, having personal experience, will be a better person to ask.
    Last edited by alan999; 15th July 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alan999 View Post
    I've never been but heard it described as hoon city although would consider the source wholely unreliable. Would imagine the WC, having personal experience, will be a better person to ask.
    WC? Water Closet?

I think they meant Christchurch for hoon city. Check the papers, especially as of late. Over 100 boy racers gathering and many arrests.

Not in Wellington!

a band mate of mine is a cop and would recommend avoiding the area

I have lived in at least a dozen suburbs throughout Manukau - Howick, Botany Downs, Otara, Mangere, Papatoetoe, Otara, Dannemora (South), Bucklands Beach, Pakuranga, etc. The eastern suburbs - Howick, Bucklands Beach, etc are generally more affluent. Nice, clean, reserved, petite, and forever peaceful - I know I was their from early 70's, and my mother and sister still live out there. Good for living and bringing up family. Parts of those areas are still been built west of Dannemora. Busy traffic though -Pakuranga Highway and Te Irirangi drive to Manukau city center and business district.

Some of the "south side" suburbs have/had issues (which I have seen and observed over 30 years) in terms of social activities, at risk youth, health, isolated street crime, social-economic issues, etc. Their are good pocketed areas within those suburbs however and of course good people. But with much more diverse demographics: cultural, ethnic, income, personal and family status (e.g. higher unemployed beneficiaries, much larger families, dozens of solo parents), age ranges, etc, relative to eastern suburbs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast