Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tauranga/Papamoa Beach

Default Tauranga/Papamoa Beach

Whats it like living here? weather, work oppos, schools etc?

It's awful, you'd hate it.

(of course I may be saying that as eventually I don't want to be battling with you for a house)

So far so good, although it has been described to me twice as a town of retirement homes joined by motorways. And there's a certain truth to that.

The financial sector seems to be expanding here, and there are a fair few other offices as well, particularly in the engineering sector where I work. Really what you see is what you get with Papamoa, although critically the dunes mean that very very few people actually see anything of the ocean, which isn't what you'd expect. Club bike ride goes from the very tip of Papamoa to the Mount, and it's only the last 2k that you see the ocean.

Plans are to expand to bigger than Hamilton by 2026, so go up to 150,000 people. Hence a lot of investment in road building at the moment. But no car parks, which seems a slight flaw in the plan as by 2021 then we'll have 15,000 people driving into the CBD without delay at rush hour then having meetings whilst circling the harbour......

can you expand on the financial sector quote? i cant see many jobs on seek or trademe?

Not really as it's not my area, but based on 'talk' and looking at the offices. Craigs Financial have their HQ here, and I was under the impression from the local paper that there were others around too. Mentioned it as I thought that was your area.

Central Tauranga - not Papamoa BTW

We've been in Tauranga 9 months now and love it! Yes I think it is known as the retirement place to be but there are still plenty of us "younger" people around!

As for jobs - depends what you do/want. The hospital is expanding and there are always jobs going at the Poly and council. Trade me/seek is good but seems to me that as soon as they get someone suitable the job disappears off it.

Schools are good - my boys have settled in very well and love the sport/outside way of life. They have made lots of friends and there last reports were very good.

The Mount and beaches are brilliant. We love it that (away from the Mount about 2k) you can take the dog for a walk and on a busy day maybe see 5-10 people. So much different to the UK.

We love Tauranga - come and join us! (I sound like one of those tourism adverts!!!!)

Claire

Neil, those itchy feet of yours...

how long does it take to get from papamoa in rush hour to tauranga cbd?

Car, bike or bus?

It's not that bad at all. The new Harbour Bridge has cut down on a lot of delays, although there's still a bit of a bottleneck by Bayfair roundabout, although there's a scheme in development that will sort that out. Half an hour? Something of that order.

And 'rush hour' is bit of a foreign term. No-one ever seems to rush anywhere, and the peak traffic period is less than an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Car, bike or bus?

It's not that bad at all. The new Harbour Bridge has cut down on a lot of delays, although there's still a bit of a bottleneck by Bayfair roundabout, although there's a scheme in development that will sort that out. Half an hour? Something of that order.

And 'rush hour' is bit of a foreign term. No-one ever seems to rush anywhere, and the peak traffic period is less than an hour.
    i love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast