Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grocery prices in the news again

Default Grocery prices in the news again

An article on Stuff web site posted today:
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/heal...s-are-sky-high

Nothing really new to those of us who've been on this forum long enough though. Hopefully someday there will be a "2degrees" chain of supermarkets with the aim of bringing cost of essential items down. It's a bit ridiculous that bread and sugar are in the top 5 highest price increase list, but they can get away with that as these products are relatively price inelastic!

It was telling that the so-called Competition Commission was claiming that it had no power to investigate a duopoly!

Why is NZ the only country that puts consumers last?

But bread and sugar prices have gone up accross the world as demand has risen more than supply, or in some cases supply has dropped in response to climatic events reducing crop yields.

I'm sure there's some cases of extreme profiteering, but in a lot of cases then there is a reason, but it's fashionable to have a rant. Lets face it, I can't remember many people complaining that they've had a pay rise which means that their companies customers bills (or tax) will have to go up to pay for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    But bread and sugar prices have gone up accross the world as demand has risen more than supply, or in some cases supply has dropped in response to climatic events reducing crop yields.

I'm sure there's some cases of extreme profiteering, but in a lot of cases then there is a reason, but it's fashionable to have a rant. Lets face it, I can't remember many people complaining that they've had a pay rise which means that their companies customers bills (or tax) will have to go up to pay for this.
    That's because very few have had a payrise...!

This one in the news too:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/39...-weekly-budget

Although I can't understand what people are putting in their shopping trolley that costs so much money for a 'basic shop' considering it doesn't even include personal care or cleaning products. We are a family of 5 and spend way less than that (including everything) plus the odd bottle of wine. And we certainly eat a 'nutritionally balanced' diet, in line with the article. We thought maybe it was because we were veggie that we spend less, but having looked in more detail it seems meat replacement food products are definitely not cheaper than the carnivourous versions.

We have definitely noticed food prices have gone up massively in the last 3 years though. We used to spend on average $200 per week (when we arrived in 2007) for a weekly shop including nappies and wipes for all 3 children. We still spend the same amount but kids are no longer in nappies.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    This one in the news too:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/39...-weekly-budget
    Although I can't understand what people are putting in their shopping trolley that costs so much money for a 'basic shop' considering it doesn't even include personal care or cleaning products.
    Probably would be better to look at the original research documentation to understand how the figures have been arrived at. They estimate $125 on a 'basic' budget for a couple living in Auckland and I reckon that's about right.

http://nutrition.otago.ac.nz/consultancy/foodcostsurvey

http://nutrition.otago.ac.nz/__data/...ackage2010.pdf

Cool, I've saved myself $17 per week having an adolescent girl rather than a boy. Go me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Mac View Post
    It was telling that the so-called Competition Commission was claiming that it had no power to investigate a duopoly!

Why is NZ the only country that puts consumers last?
    Agree there's little doubt that 2 Supermarketchains enjoy a cosy duopoly and Consumers are the worse for it. The mark up on fruit & veg particularly is ridiculous, I always use the fruit & veg chains instead, very rare they're more than likes of Countdown/Woollies, PakNSave/New World.

This is quite reassuring- I've always thought we spent too much but we're right on the moderate spend for Auckland. What I don't understand is how folk on the average income in the rest of NZ can afford the average weekly spend.

I seem to remember the average income is $25,000 per person outside of Auckland but would be interested if anyone has any other figures. It seems criminal that we pay GST on food too, given that this disproportionately affects those with lower incomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    I don't think you could consider demand and supply in this manner. Sugar and bread supply are more than enough, so even with increased demand the current "offered" should cover it.

All are government policies, some government first solution to any problem is "charge people".

I really don't know about New Zealand, but I know that Europe is ridiculously over priced.

Checked online grocery store in NZ, and noticed that the prices are same or a bit lower than here. Compared to pay rate of less than 20% of the same in NZ, I just can't find the right phrase to express my .... .

When the so called "crisis" started, they decided to deduct a portion of people salaries here. And so "creatively" named it "crisis tax".

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast