Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week check-in

Default One week check-in

One week ago yesterday we got off the plane at Auckland International, and one week later, here we are

It's been a pretty productive week so far and we've managed to get a lot done!

1. Got cellphones
    2. Activated bank accounts and moved money around
    3. Applied for IRD numbers
    4. Applied for and got credit cards
    5. My partner got her US drivers license converted to a full NZ one (motorcycle endorsement included)
    6. Sat and passed my driving license theory test, waiting for the learner DL to come in the mail
    7. Looked at a bajillion flats, got approved for all the ones we applied for and picked and signed for one
    8. Went furniture shopping and got it all delivered to the new flat, started moving our stuff over

All this and we're still feeling pretty relaxed. The air smells fresher, everything feels a lot more chill and easygoing, lots of smiling faces, lots of diversity (in Auckland Central at least), people are happy to stop and chat about anything and everything. Nobody seems to be perturbed by us signing for stuff together or by the fact that we're a female queer couple, or if they are they're not showing it, but the general impression and vibe we're getting is that people generally don't seem to care. We've walked and explored most of auckland central and we've used the public transit system a few times, seems pretty decent.

Overall we're really liking it here so far. My partner starts her job in a week or so and will be attending a conference this week, and I'm working on getting things sorted with the Nursing Council. Have to take a course in October to fully convert my nursing license, so looking for temporary work in the meantime and working on getting my web dev business registered.

Of course it's not utopia here and we're under no illusion that it is, no matter how much we're enjoying it. The cons we've experienced so far include:

1. Costs - things are pretty expensive. But we found Target for furniture and The Warehouse for other stuff to be pretty reasonably priced stores
    2. Hard to find good housing - we saw a lot of unpleasant to live in places that were asking a lot, but part of that is that we were looking mostly in the CBD which is where we're planning to stay for the first six months at least. We plan to explore outside the CBD once we're more settled and thinking about buying, and once we know the area better.
    3. Have to be really careful crossing the roads - not a con per se, just something we've become acutely aware of since we're walking everywhere.

Still exploring, still learning... happy to be here!

Sounds good bananamuffin

I concur with your observations of the general state of rentals as we're on the rental hunt again most have been totally unsuitable for human habitation ... in fact we made the mistake of taking the kids with us to look round one and that night my youngest had a nightmare about the kitchen and we had to promise her faithfully we wouldn't move there- she said it was a very 'lonely' sort of house, which is true as it was covered in mildew, stank and was the gloomiest house ever, even on a bright sunny day and had condensation still running down the windows at midday. All for $400 per week!!!

Have to be really careful crossing the roads
    Children in the UK used to be taught the Kerb Drill, which may help while you get used to 'the other side of the road': Look RIGHT, look LEFT, look RIGHT AGAIN, then if all's clear, cross, but keep looking and listening all around you.

Congrats Bananamuffin, glad you arrived OK.

Sounds like you have been busy in your first week, much more than I ever achieved!

As an expat Brit, I was taught the road crossing drill day in, day out, but here in the South Island a traffic jam is two tractors and some sheep or 3 cars in front of you at traffic lights.

Rebecca

Dunedin

I remember that one too J and M, taught by the famous Tufty!

Bananamuffin, you put us to shame with all you have achieved within your first week...I'll use the twin sons being lugged around behind us as the reason we are so slow.

Hope that you have more of a chance to explore soon. We took ourselves off today to explore, into Arthurs Pass just to see it. It was a fantastic experience and a reminder of why we are here.

Good job!

Excellent update, thank you! Don't you love that people are so used to saying "partner" here, instead of "husband", "wife" or "spouse"? I love that NZIS and most of the public can see past the blinders that so many other countries have on, and just accept that a stable relationship between adults is just that

I hope you enjoy your lives in NZ!
    Last edited by M-Squared; 12th July 2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added "and most of the public"

Sounds great!!! My partner and I are very happy to hear the update. You guys have gotten a lot done, too, must feel great to sit back and relax now that some of the most important stuff's over.

YEA! Bananamuffin! Good job! You've really accomplished a lot. Did you have any difficulties along the way or was it fairly simple?

I hope we make great progress during our first week (whenever that will be) as you have.

I'm glad that your partner and you are settling in and finding people accepting. Do you think that would be true of all of NZ or mostly the bigger cities? I hope you meet with acceptance wherever you go.

Keep posting!

Congrats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast