Thread: Magic Jack?

Default Magic Jack?

Has anyone tried this magic jack thing, which is available in North America, for use in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    Has anyone tried this magic jack thing, which is available in North America, for use in New Zealand.
    Is this what you mean?

Or Jack Daniels?

Nick.

I'm sure it would work anywhere as long as there's a broadband internet connection. The problem is broadband in NZ isn't consistent enough for real time critical voice talking. Sure at times you may get a good connection but it's not allways.

If you wanted Magic Jack just for the purpose of long distance calling, then it's a waste of time. A long distance plan from the land line will get you cheaper if you don't have to factor a $60/month cost for broadband.

Default That's what I thought might have been the issue.

Thanks for the responses.
    I thought it might come down to the quality of the highspeed. It was fairly good as far as surfing the net went when I was there in January. but I am not sure it would be good enough for the magic jack.
    I tried Jack Daniels also but eventually it too just gives me a headache.

Anyway...just an update while I am on here

We are now packing for the big move ...have started selling off our stuff, that is not going in the container, we arrive in auckland on the 2nd of August.

Cheers everyone.

Can't you just use skype, it's dead easy to set up and use
    I know it works from the UK to rural south island, even with video.
    I'll be arriving at Auckland airport on the 2nd too!

We have been using Magic Jack as our home phone for over a year and absolutely love it! $20 a year and $20 for the unit. Priceless to have it hooked up to our computer. It is just like a home phone, we can use portable phones too. Highly recommend. I like it rather than Skype for those family members who don't Skype but would like to just pick up a phone and call us. We still have a local US number for all our family and friends. So crazy!

We also Skype but there is just something about having an actual phone to dial up someone, sit on the deck, and talk to mom or dad w/o a computer sometimes. Otherwise, we use Skype a lot too. Very reliable.

p.s. hello from a former Lethbridge-ite!

Yeah I will definately be using Skype, but as you say just picking up a phone and making a call is sometimes nice too....just considering the options.