Thread: Wellington colleges

Smile Wellington colleges

Hi ,

I'm in the mist of securing colleges for my 2 kids (boy and girl) and want to have feedback regarding colleges in Wellington city.

Would appreciate if anyone can respond on which college is the best for Boys and which one is best for Girls.

Cheers.

Can you let us have the ages, and the criteria by which you would assess 'Best'

Most High Schools and colleges are tightly zoned, so your choice will be influenced by where you live (or visa-versa of course)

This link gives access to the zones, the Decile ratings and the reports. http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your quick reply.

My son is 14+ and my daughter is 12+.

I'm thinking of Wellington college Boys for my son and St Mary's college for my daughter, are they good colleges as compare to like St Patrick's college and Wellington Girls college?

I understand that you have to be in the zone for Wellington college boys so does that mean that Wellington college boys is one of the best college available? Best as in academic results, students behaviour and so on?

I have recently last week submitted WTR so now awaiting and do ground work for the move if I have the approval from IMM NZ.

Thanks and Cheers,
    Don

Depending on when you finally get here your daughter might have to do a year in Intermediate....but assuming she goes to College then you can check the results on the site I sent before.

Colleges in Wellington City are all of a good standard (imho). Apart from Onslow and Wellington High, all are single sex, uniformed, traditional schools. WHS and Onslow excell in performing arts and are more 'free spirited'.

Your other issue will be what curiculum to follow. There is still much debate about the new(ish) NCEA. Several colleges offer Cambridge 'A' Levels instead.

Finally be VERY careful about school years. Although the school year goes from Feb-Dec, the cut off for birthdays is June! All our three kids ended up in the wrong years (a year up)...it didn't matter in the end as they are doing well.

Hey, thanks for your great feedback. Appreciate your help on this.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    Colleges in Wellington City are all of a good standard (imho). Apart from Onslow and Wellington High, all are single sex, uniformed, traditional schools. WHS and Onslow excell in performing arts and are more 'free spirited'.
    We're currently looking into the colleges also, but as we only have boys we have not looked at all schools. It's worth noting that whilst Onslow excell in performing arts, they are also particularly high achievers in terms of sport and academics, so there is certainly balance there. They have a newly built indoor cricket facility for example. It is also somewhat unusual in that the students take an active role in the running of the school.

I can't comment on Wellington High School, but Wellington (boys) College is a school of huge reputation...sufficiently so that the Education Review Office only feel it necessary to revisit the school in 5 years, where the norm is three. They have a more traditional approach, the grounds are a bit like a university campus, and sporting and academic achievements are amongst the top in the country. These schools' zones do not overlap, so where you live will determine eligibility for each.

Thanks for your feedback and it's definitely good to hear that Wellington Boys college is of a reputable college. Ya, we are trying to look for a place within the zone as well as close to a girl's college too.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Tawa College is seen as excellent, and very sought-after as well. If you live in the zone for the college, you're in. If you have family who have been there before, you are most likely in. If you have elder siblings who've been there, you're in

We have friends whose girls go to St Mary's and they're constantly skint from the fees