Thread: Low iron levels

Default Low iron levels

Hi,

I'm not looking for advice, but for personal experience and insight.

My concern is the medical reports, required for our residence app. My wife's blood test reports seem to indicate low iron levels. The GP seems to indicate that going on iron supplements and redoing the tests later, as opposed to shooting them off to INZ.

I feel like taking my chances and sending our app in with the current results. And then seeing if the MA asks us for more tests. I realize that iron levels do not go up in a jiffy. There is no other issue on the report and I just thought i'd see what people have experienced.

Not too mention each test costs a fair bit......

Any thoughts. Thanks for any input.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
    Hi,

I'm not looking for advice, but for personal experience and insight.

My concern is the medical reports, required for our residence app. My wife's blood test reports seem to indicate low iron levels. The GP seems to indicate that going on iron supplements and redoing the tests later, as opposed to shooting them off to INZ.

I feel like taking my chances and sending our app in with the current results. And then seeing if the MA asks us for more tests. I realize that iron levels do not go up in a jiffy. There is no other issue on the report and I just thought i'd see what people have experienced.

Not too mention each test costs a fair bit......

Any thoughts. Thanks for any input.

Cheers.

My wifey also had the same issue. However we addressed the issue with a simple letter from the GP saying that this was a ‘normal and ongoing’ state for her and had not over the years of her life caused or manifest itself in any serious or debilitating medical conditions. Furthermore in his opinion the situation could be addressed by iron supplements. On the basis of this letter she passed her medical.

Like you say, if you take the GP’s advice, and go on a course of iron supplements, it could be many many months until the iron levels are above the medical target…if ever.

However just be aware low iron can be a symptom of some major illnesses so make sure these are checked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    My wifey also had the same issue. However we addressed the issue with a simple letter from the GP saying that this was a ‘normal and ongoing’ state for her and had not over the years of her life caused or manifest itself in any serious or debilitating medical conditions. Furthermore in his opinion the situation could be addressed by iron supplements. On the basis of this letter she passed her medical.

Like you say, if you take the GP’s advice, and go on a course of iron supplements, it could be many many months until the iron levels are above the medical target…if ever.

However just be aware low iron can be a symptom of some major illnesses so make sure these are checked out.
    Thanks Jan

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I have been refused when trying to give blood in the past for low iron levels. I was a stewdent at the time though so my diet probably wasn't the best! Greens like spinach and brocolli are really good for iron, and I think tomatoes are. So's Guinness - but probably not the best option if you're going for a blood test I don't have a problem with iron any more but I mainly eat those two greens nowadays.

I think anaemia(sp?) is one possible ailment that low iron can be an indicator of. Like Jan says, always worth a bit more investigation to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    I have been refused when trying to give blood in the past for low iron levels. I was a stewdent (sic: student) at the time though so my diet probably wasn't the best! Greens like spinach and brocolli are really good for iron, and I think tomatoes are. So's Guinness - but probably not the best option if you're going for a blood test I don't have a problem with iron any more but I mainly eat those two greens nowadays.

I think anaemia(sp?) is one possible ailment that low iron can be an indicator of. Like Jan says, always worth a bit more investigation to be on the safe side.
    I suffered from very low iron levels when I was preggars - please note this has nothing to do with NZIS - and got through it in these ways:

1. ate at least one egg a day
    2. ate at least one portion of red meat a day
    3. ferrous sulphate tablets - the best! - use them

I have been refused when trying to give blood in the past for low iron levels. I was a stewdent at the time though so my diet probably wasn't the best! Greens like spinach and brocolli are really good for iron, and I think tomatoes are. So's Guinness - but probably not the best option if you're going for a blood test I don't have a problem with iron any more but I mainly eat those two greens nowadays.

Thanks Manks. We had a chat with the doc and it seems we needn't worry for now. I hope NZIS feel the same way If not, if we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

It's going to be more spinach and red meat

On another note, which part of CT did you stay in. I never lived there, but visited often and quite liked the little I saw.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Squared View Post
    I suffered from very low iron levels when I was preggars - please note this has nothing to do with NZIS - and got through it in these ways:

1. ate at least one egg a day
    2. ate at least one portion of red meat a day
    3. ferrous sulphate tablets - the best! - use them
    Thanks!

Thanks Manks. We had a chat with the doc and it seems we needn't worry for now. rs.

Get your doctor to write the 'chat' down in a letter - you'll pay about 15 quid but it's worth it!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

On another note, which part of CT did you stay in. I never lived there, but visited often and quite liked the little I saw.
    Just outside Hartford. I love living here but there's a lot about the US culture that drives me nuts too! So I don't think I could stay permantently!

Just outside Hartford. I love living here but there's a lot about the US culture that drives me nuts too! So I don't think I could stay permantently!
    How long have you been in the US for? I was there for 12 years, it was ... enough!