Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glasgow/Wellington

Default Glasgow/Wellington

Hi,

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the climate differences from Wellington and Glasgow? Would I notice much of a difference or are the seasons fairly similar?

From what I've read, Wellington is a lot windier and possibly has more rainfall, although reading statistics is completely different to views from people who have lived in both locations. Would living somewhere like Kapiti Coast make much difference to the overall climate?

Cheers,

Stu

Can't comment on Glasgow/Wellington but I find the weather overall is better than the UK in Wellington, also Kapiti is better than Wellington, as soon as you get towards Pukerua Bay it gets better, the temp always seems to be a few degrees hotter although nights look cooler according to the Met sight, that is late night as it seems you can sit outside up there where as here in Churton Park we've not done at all but other places in Wellington you can. Everytime we have visited Kapiti coast it has been warmer than here but I still love where I am

Quote Originally Posted by stoorob View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the climate differences from Wellington and Glasgow? Would I notice much of a difference or are the seasons fairly similar?

From what I've read, Wellington is a lot windier and possibly has more rainfall, although reading statistics is completely different to views from people who have lived in both locations. Would living somewhere like Kapiti Coast make much difference to the overall climate?

Cheers,

Stu
    Stu
    we are making the move from Liverpool and have been wondering about this too... I found this link really useful:

http://www.enz.org/NewZealandClimate.html

Also I have discovered that if you live on the Kapiti Coast or the Wairarapa valley it's a fair bit warmer (I think). I think Wairarapa is less windy too.

Best of luck

Even Invergargill has better weather than Glasgow

Karen

A few points;

1) Wellington is windy and this knocks off a few degrees from the ‘feel like temperature’ (today right now it’s a difference of 5 degrees)….check out this site for details http://metservice.com/towns-cities/wellington
    2) The temperature in Wellington is measured in Kelburn which is a fairly shady high cool suburb. The temperature in lower sunnier suburbs can be 3 or 4 degrees up, and in the Hutt or on Kapiti as well
    3) Houses here can be built so badly it can be colder inside than outside….http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3917...warmer-outside
    4) The sun is strong so said houses above do warm up if they catch the sun (and many here don’t cause of the steep hills) and on a sunny day (which there are more of in Wellington than Glasgow! – according to the BBC weather site over 500 more hours sunshine per year!)
    5) There are virtually no frosts here –well not in the city or suburbs, the Hutt and Wairarapa do get hard frosts. Also winters are less windy that spring and autumn…
    6) When a southerly wind blows the air comes up from the Antarctic with no land in between so feels icy. Fortunately southerlies last only a day or so and the prevailing wind is a Norwester.

Cool, thanks for the responses - looks like it'd be better than Glasgow, but then that wouln't be all that difficult really, plus the North Sea\Atlantic is freezing all year round, while it looks like in the summer in NZ it can get to around 24 degrees, although perhaps not in Wellington?

Stu

I'd say Wellington has the rain of Glasgow and the wind of Edinburgh. But Auckland......

I am from the west coast of Scotland, latterly Kilcreggan on the Clyde. I cant speak for Wellington but here just up the coast in Levin the weather is significantly better, all year round. Even on the odd occasion there is a mild frost, that invariably means we are in for a superb, sunny, windless day, and it starts to feel warm quite quickly. The lack of wind here is also quite disturbing at times. As has been said on here before, the rain stats are misleading, because when it does rain here it can get very heavy, but is over quickly, whereas back in Scotland it stays wet for weeks/months on end.

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    I'd say Wellington has the rain of Glasgow and the wind of Edinburgh. But Auckland......
    ...is like the Gorbals!... (well you started it!)

I was only talking about the weather. A tad defensive there WC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast