Thread: experiences of getting visa's for children with disabilities anyone?

Default experiences of getting visa's for children with disabilities anyone?

i have 2 children aged 12yrs and 17yrs.
    My 12 year old has autism, ADHD and learning disabilities.
    He is currently in a special school, but they have assured me he will employable.
    he is also on medication for his ADHD (1 of which is available and subsidised/special authority required - what ever that means?)
    My 17 year old has aspergers and learning disabilities. he is a functional reader and has demonstrated he can work (work experience) with support.
    he is also in the initial stages of learning to drive (private land) and they hope he may be able to pass his test next year.
    their school pediatrician said she will support the fact that they will be employable in the future.
    we are hoping to be moving to NZ nov/dec 2011 and have a meeting with a liencenced imigration company in a couple of weeks. (any advice on what i should ask them would be greatly recieved please)
    ohh i almost forgot..........
    my only sibling (brother) lives in NZ and has residency for over 10 years now - has anyone else found this useful? (to have a member of the family already settled there)

hope someone answers
    (fingers crossed again)
    thank you

The fact that your brother is there will get you extra points on your EOI, and if you get to the stage of having an interview with a CO, it will help to show that you have the start of a network in NZ, so are more likely to settle in, and you can stress how he's told you about life in NZ, the workplace, etc., to help give the impression of employability.

As to your children, I know there have been forum members who have managed to gain residency with children who have learning difficulties etc., but I don't think they were exactly the same problems as your two. When they see your post, I'm sure they will comment.

I think you're very likely to have quite an uphill struggle on this one, and maybe will get to the point of having to ask for a medical waiver. At that point, you will be having to argue for your usefulness to NZ and the contributions you can make, to set against the extra help and support that may be needed for your children.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I can't answer about the children but have you asked your brother about sponsoring your application? It takes longer to process (a lot) and probably wouldn't fit in your timeframe of a Nov/Dec 2011 move, but it might be a more straightforward option than SMC - depending on your jobs of course.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...teradultchild/

thank you
    I do hope it isn't as hard as you have said
    I have just looked here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i10008.htm
    and it appears they do not fit into any of those catagories
    i knew it would be hard, but hopefully i will get somewhere.
    if i take their special needs statements with me to the agency do you think they may know a realistic result?
    or do they tend to string you along and take your money knowing you won't get anywhere?
    AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH
    so many questions I have sorry!
    My brother will be trying to sponser my mum in and I don't think his salary will be enough to sponser us too

oooooooo yes ......... i will be a social worker - that is a long term skills shortage

AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH
    so many questions I have sorry!
    This is a perfectly normal reaction that EVERYBODY has when thinking about starting the migration process - you're not alone.

if i take their special needs statements with me to the agency do you think they may know a realistic result?
    You would like somebody to look into a crystal ball and tell the future - ALSO the way everyone feels. They can't be certain. Nobody can. But I think you should take the statements along, so the person can give a realistic opinion, which they can't without knowing all the angles on your family situation.

or do they tend to string you along and take your money knowing you won't get anywhere?
    If you have doubts about the agency you're going to see, before you sign up and commit yourself for anything, ask to be put in touch with people who have used their services so you can check up on them. That's the way to know if they're genuine. Find out how long they have been in business, and ask about their success rates. Come to think of it, if you mention the name of the agency, another forum member may have seen the same people.

On this forum, people usually say to newcomers asking about agencies that if their application is straightforward, they will save money by doing it themself. Your application is not going to be straightforward, so it's very understandable that you would like to have someone to see you through the process. Another possibility you could consider is consulting an immigration lawyer.

oooooooo yes ......... i will be a social worker - that is a long term skills shortage[/QUOTE]

This will definitely get you more points but be prepared for a upward battle going through immigration with your sons.
    I am an RN ( also on the shortage list)and we did get my older son (now 5) through with Speech Apraxia but after lots of paper work and medical referrals and nail biting.
    I wish you all the best.

I've only just recently posted a reply in this thread about taking children with special needs:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....hlight=special

Good luck,
    Lesly