Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shed 10

Unhappy Shed 10

Oh good a 'sensible compromise', that won't fall down on anyone! (insert sarcastic smiley)

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10659180

Is it just me or does anyone else think they have just missed a great opportunity to build something fantastic on the Wharf?

Sadly I didn't think it would turn out any other way....

Cheers

Tia

Politics got in the way, there's scarcely enough time to get the city ready anyway! Whatever they will do will now be half-arsed, unfortunately.

Whatever they will do will now be half-arsed, unfortunately.
    Now why does this remind me of the UK in the run up to the next Olympics?

Huge missed opportunity IMO. We so desperately need some vision in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think they have just missed a great opportunity to build something fantastic on the wharf?
    The whole thing has been a farce from the outset, from the weeks and weeks of debate over the cost of building a new waterfront stadium or not. All plans were dismissed as too costly and I can't see why anyone would even want to save that pile of junk, far less spend $37 million dollars on a temporary structure. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ears.

There is a huge difference between that and anything being done in the UK for the Olympics, afterall London still has two more years to go. NZ has just one year until the RWC and have only decided this today, after the 'get it sorted' message from the Minister this past week or so.

Has anyone noticed the attempted re-branding to 'Fan Zone' in today's press release? I always thought that 'Party Central' sounded so pathetic.

After a few beers most of the fans wouldn't notice or care if it were a cow shed ....

But Tia - can't you see how a shed on the waterfront will become a symbol for Auckland in the same way as the Sydney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty and Jesus statue in Rio are for their respective cities?

Quote Originally Posted by Tia Maria View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else think they have just missed a great opportunity to build something fantastic on the Wharf?
    I think they missed out on a great opportunity when they decided not to build the new stadium on the waterfront. It made so much sense, particularly from a transportation point of view - nearly all of Auckland's public transport heads for downtown (buses, ferries and trains) and there would be such a great party atmosphere generated in the city, as opposed to Kingsland with one tiny platform that everyone's supposed to cram onto within 5 minutes of the game ending, and about 2 decent sized bars.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    I think they missed out on a great opportunity when they decided not to build the new stadium on the waterfront. It made so much sense, particularly from a transportation point of view - nearly all of Auckland's public transport heads for downtown (buses, ferries and trains) and there would be such a great party atmosphere generated in the city, as opposed to Kingsland with one tiny platform that everyone's supposed to cram onto within 5 minutes of the game ending, and about 2 decent sized bars.
    Or maybe North Harbour, with its masses of parking, proxmity to the motorway, eat and drinkeries around Albany and room for more... ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    After a few beers most of the fans wouldn't notice or care if it were a cow shed ....
    Hmmm. Lots of fans, drinking lots of beer, in a confined area, over the water and with no fencing. Recipe for disaster? Nah - she'll be right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast