Thread: Wellington neighborhood advice

Default Wellington neighborhood advice

As mentioned in my introduction post, I will be based in Wellington for 8 months next year. My wife will be joining me for much of that time. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on neighborhoods that have the following attributes:
    a) within a 10-20 min. drive to surfing (lyall bay, breaker bay, etc)
    b) has restaurants/cafes within walking distance
    c) easy access to CBD by bicycle or bus
    d) no-hassle parking.

Thanks!

Not sure Breaker Bay is that good a surf spot (large surf but broken breaks)....Lyall Bay has good breaks as does Houghton Bay but it's a little narrow.

As to where to live....anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs would suit depending on budget.

Kilbirnie, Lyall Bay itself and Newtown would be at the cheaper end and are culturally diverse places. Island Bay would be a nice quieter type place but with good access to the sea. If you have money then Miramar or Seatoun are up market the later surrounded by the harbour.

A bit closer into town Hataitai and Roseneath have good views of the city.

If you want to be right in town (but still only 10 mins from the beaches) Mount Victoria or Mount Cook would offer places you could walk to work.

Apart from Roseneath, all the suburbs I have mentioned offer flat routes the cycle into town.

The bus system in Wellington is very good and ES get a regaular night bus on the weekends till 3 am for the night owls from Courtney Place (or a taxi is ony $20).

All suburbs have cafe's and resteraunts. In the ES there are some iconic ones (the Surf Club on Lyall Bay, the Chocolate Frog, the Chocolate Fish, Scorcharama) so you'll be spoilt for choice.

If you have more specific requirements, let me know. I've lived in the ES for two years now and know them quite well.
    Last edited by Wooly_Cow; 19th July 2010 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    As to where to live....anywhere in the Eastern Suburbs would suit depending on budget.

Kilbirnie, Lyall Bay itself and Newtown would be at the cheaper end and are culturally diverse places. Island Bay would be a nice quieter type place but with good access to the sea. If you have money then Miramar or Seatoun are up market the later surrounded by the harbour.
    I think we might be able to afford nice digs, but we're more interested in saving for post-NZ travel. Thus I'm looking for a safe neighborhood, walkable at night to amenities, cafes, etc, short (under 15min) drive to pre-work surf, and plenty of parking. Sounds then like Mount Victoria, Mount Cook, Newtown, Kilbirnie would be great options? Oh yeah, I can't forget, my wife always pursues "cute" as a neighborhood characteristic. Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow View Post
    The bus system in Wellington is very good and ES get a regaular night bus on the weekends till 3 am for the night owls from Courtney Place (or a taxi is ony $20).

All suburbs have cafe's and resteraunts. In the ES there are some iconic ones (the Surf Club on Lyall Bay, the Chocolate Frog, the Chocolate Fish, Scorcharama) so you'll be spoilt for choice.
    This is great to know!! Thanks.

So with regards to safety virutally all of Wellignton city is what I would call safe...some of the suburbs are a little tatty / student but not unsafe (outside Wellington there are a few suburbs you should really avoid but you aren't going there so I won't mention the names 'cause that tends to offend the residents!)

Honestly though I'd go for Island Bay or Lyall Bay....why drive to the beach when you can live on it? (you don't mind sand in your hosue now do you?)