Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House builders in NZ?

Default House builders in NZ?

Can anybody shed any light on the names of some house builders in NZ?

The likes of David Wilson, Jelson etc but the NZ equivalent.

Thanks.

I don't know the builders you mentioned. However just have a look in the Yellow Pages or similar for "Builders & Building Contractors". Check for those with an internet address and those who have subsidiaries in different places.
    Are you looking all over NZ or "just" regional, if so where?

Hi ralf-nz,
    The two I mentioned are a couple of the uk's large house builders. I'm looking to try and find similiar in NZ, Auckland specifically, to see what sort of developments are being built and where.

N

There wont be "developments" as such in the UK way but new sub divisions being built with lots of different companies building there, They wont be building to sell on as all the section will have already been bougt and each house designed seperatly.

http://www.fowlerhomes.co.nz/index.a...eID=2145853689

http://www.gjgardner.co.nz/cms/

http://www.jennian.co.nz/

To name but 3.........

Great, thanks. I wondered if that might be the case, due to the lack of info. I could find.
    I will go and have a look now.

Hi guys,

It would be great if someone could recommend builders or developers that they have dealt with recently, in particular, those that offer land and home packages in the Bay of Plenty region.
    We've heard of Generation Homes and Milestone Home (through Jennian Homes)....but don't know anyone who's bought/built homes with them.

Thanks!

try this link, theres all sorts of info here

http://www.buildyourdream.co.nz/new_...-designed-1132

Hi Nita

We have build with GJ Gardner (Taupo) and would highly recommend them.

I have PM'd you more details (you need to have posted 5 times to read PM's).

Cheers

Emma

For most part, virtually all the big volume builders in NZ are pretty much the same. They construct houses that are very similar in looks and exclusively use the cheapest materials available. When you talk $1200 -> $1500 per sqm to built, there is not a lot of movement to get more or allow for experimentation of different materials. So there's really no point in trying to single out a particular building company because their approach to building would be identical to the next guy.

To make matters worse, you could bank roll a $2500 per sqm house and still get a house that is not much different than the cheaper high volume option. High price tag architects still use similar construction methods throughout the build process. Meaning, while the shape of the house may look different, the method of installing windows in and how they're flashed and sealed is identical to the cheapest built house today (use of same aluminium framed windows). Fine details are never explained to the customer. ie. if the wood window reveals are 'concealed' fixed (that is the nails are nailed from the inside the wall framing) vs. the cheap and quick method of just putting nails through as normal and filling the hole up with putty fill / paint. In all aspects of building, there is a ton of better ways it can be done... but the customer is to never know because the high volume builders & architects don't care to spend that time - perhaps, who would if the customer isn't willing to pay that much? (proof is the high turnover rate of NZ houses changing hands).

To find something different and of high standard requires looking inside the walls and under the house. The stuff you can't see because when an earthquake comes, no amount of bling bling on the outside can save it from being damaged if the inside is compromised. Such as insufficient bracing of the walls. Minimum NZ building code pay no importance of the cosmetics from disasters like earthquakes. As long as the house survives and no lives are lost, that is all that matters.

Here in Christchurch, i've been around long enough to familiarize with most of the different building companies. There isn't 1 outfit that is perfect because their screw-ups are well gossiped around.
    Last edited by Super_BQ; 21st March 2011 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Emma - this is my 5th post so hope I can see the PM after this We were thinking of visiting GJ Gardner as well....Urbo homes seems to be another good one but their prices are a lil bit higher than what we can afford at the moment.

Super_BQ - We're actually one of those customers who aren't willing to pay that much But then we're not looking for a huge flash house either. I still have to look through the NZ Building code...might do that one of these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast