Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Devonport primary v Stanley Bay primary???

Thank you all so much! You have all been wonderful in sharing this information and I already feel like a part of the community there.

Do you think a Playgroup would let me put my younger son on the waiting list even though we aren't there yet? He will be four and one month when we arrive, but we may stay in Nelson with my Parents in Law until we find a rental property. To be honest, from the sounds of it, either school would be amazing for the boys. I love the school the eldest is at here from a community feel, but even the Head finds the lack of grass, climbing equipment and total lack of sports an embarrasment and we live in a reasonably well-off area. I will look at both schools though.

I love what you say about the cross country winners going on to the Peninnsula event - here they don't have any country to cross and even if they did, no one would lose because everyone's a winner so there's definitely no going on to any other events )

The one thing I had identified is that both schools have zones. What terrifies me is that we get our eldest in while renting in-zone and then for some reason have to find new rental property (i.e. landlord comes back etc) and that the youngest may not get a place at the same school if we can't find rental property in the same zone again. I guess we have to cross that bridge if we come to it. We have to keep our house here for a couple of years at least until the exchange rate improves (fingers crossed) so we are the mercy of the rental market.

So glad to hear the area isn't snobby (well, there's always one isn't there?) and I am mentally moving in already. We are also vaguelly considering the Hibiscus Coast but have no idea about schools up there so I'll be watching a similar post to mine asking about local schools up there. Secondary zoning is more important I think, so a bit more research required.

Anyway, thanks for responding with all the information I had been hoping for an more!

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte B View Post
    What terrifies me is that we get our eldest in while renting in-zone and then for some reason have to find new rental property (i.e. landlord comes back etc) and that the youngest may not get a place at the same school if we can't find rental property in the same zone again.
    At Devonport Primary, siblings of current students are the first priority for any out-of-zone places that come up. Devonport is such a transient place there are always students leaving and new arrivals coming in to take their places.

Thanks Norma,

I think we'd be pretty unlucky not to find a property to rent within zone if we had to move out of the first house we rent for any reason, especially if we went for Devonport Primary. It looks like there is less to rent in the zone for Stanely Bay and if there isn't much between the two schools, then I would say it would be best to rent in the zone for Devonport.

Once again, thank so much for responding!

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte B View Post
    Thanks Norma,

I think we'd be pretty unlucky not to find a property to rent within zone if we had to move out of the first house we rent for any reason, especially if we went for Devonport Primary. It looks like there is less to rent in the zone for Stanely Bay and if there isn't much between the two schools, then I would say it would be best to rent in the zone for Devonport.

Once again, thank so much for responding!

Charlotte
    It's not too bad at the moment but renting in Devonport can be a bit of a lottery when people start selling for one reason or another. So it is very common for renters to have to move and the schools are sympathetic about it if you have to move a bit out of zone, as long as you are genuine.

Good family rentals, like childcare places, are very much in demand, so you'll either need to be proactive or lucky to secure both. In terms of preschool places if you are considering private places too then just put your name on the list everywhere and see what comes up first, you can always turn down a place if you realise it's not suitable.

Cheers

Tia

hi charlotte,

i am not sure if you are still moving etc and considering devonport or stanley bay, but just to let you know, i am an australian with three children, two boys - 5 and 3 and a girl 8 months and we are looking at devonport, stanley bay - schools and kinders for 5 and 3 year olds as of next feb 2011.

i found all the info on this post very useful (thanks all!) and in fact, we are going next week to have a look around and visit the schools, kinders etc and get a feel (it is a bit closer for us!) so i will be happy to update you with what i find out... who knows, maybe our boys will be in school together if we make the same choice!

i do know both schools are definitely zoned. will send an update in a couple of weeks.

best wishes, natalie

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Hi,

Devonport looks utterly wonderful, but for a number of deeply personal reasons (some relating to things here in the UK, which I won't bore you with) we've now got places for the boys at King's school so will settle on "the other side". It was a bit of a painful decision to move away from State Education, but I received an NZ primary education, some state and some private and if I'm honest, my parents were so less than impressed with what I got in the State system that it's made me very wary of going down that route for my own sons. I had a chat with my Dad about it and he made it very clear what he would have done in retrospect and I value his opinion. My parents realised their error with the State school (and it may be that it was just that school or me + that school being a disaster) and shifted me to the private girls school and all came right. Grades immediately improved and my enjoyment in school also rocketed.

That's all resolved now though - I ended up with a great education in the end (State secondary in the UK which was excellent), but it has affected the way I make choices about my own children's future - I really hope that doesn't offend anyone as it certainly isn't meant to. Stanley Bay Primary was the one we would have gone with if we'd settled there as it looks amazing (as does Devonport, but I just liked the look of Stanley bay's physical location more), but it was all looking a bit complex in terms of renting a suitable place and just generally getting settled so we decided to look elsewhere. It also makes sense to be closer to the Southern m'way for us as our families are in Wellies and Nelson and getting in and out of Devonport could add another hour to their already long journeys, and ours to reach them.

I had really pictured myself in Devonport so I am flapping about a bit trying to work out exactly where to live now, but it strikes me that Epsom, Remuera or Mt Eden would do nicely since I am hoping also retraining to become a primary teacher in 2012 at the Epsom campus. I really want to sink my teeth in to Education and I've little doubt that teaching will reinstate my faith in State education at a primary level there. This is all about me not trusting things there yet by the way, not NZ not necessarily delivering, so please don't feel that I am having a go a the education your children receive.

I absolutely know that you will have a beautiful life in Devonport and am deeply jealous, but our set of requirements meant that it just didn't quite click for us (at the moment ). All the amazing comments left for me really built such a nice picture of where I wanted to live so I am left feeling a bit deflated that I can't have King's and Devonport without a hideous commute.

Pooh (

hi charlotte,

dont be down, sounds like it was a tricky decision but im sure kings school will be fantastic. my husbands colleague is sending both his sons there and it is meant to be a fantastic school. its a bit of a tricky one isnt it, state or private, really you just want your kids to be happy dont you, wherever they are. all those areas are supposed to be nice, a friend said mt eden was lovely with a nice village too. we are not decided yet on where to go either, we are going to look at a few different areas next week and I too seem to have my heart set on devonport but my husband keeps telling me to calm down and that there are many nice areas. so, enjoy the fact that your kids will be going to a wonderful school and will be very privileged to have a great education! i hope you have a wonderful move, personally i am just completely daunted by the thought of packing up my house aagh.
    take care, natalie.

Hi Natalie,

I'm not so much down as just a bit disappointed we won't be able to mix our chosen school with the area we really wanted to live in. But, that's the way almost everywhere. You've to buy or rent in the zone for the state school you want and I can't really expect any sympathy since we are incredibly lucky to able to send the boys to King's. All that said, that traffic in and out of Devonport could have been a real killer for me, depending on where I end up working in the longer term. Hubby will be working in the CBD so that's fine for him. I guess it was always about the schools and the commute for him so what we've settled on is an excellent result.

So funny that your boys are the same ages as my boys! What a shame they won't be in school together though. Hats off to you for going for number three. I didn't have the fortitude required ) We aim to get back there in April. What about you? I've never lived in Auckland before, just Wellington and Dunedin so this is like moving to a whole new country.

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by nataliew View Post
    hi charlotte,

i am not sure if you are still moving etc and considering devonport or stanley bay, but just to let you know, i am an australian with three children, two boys - 5 and 3 and a girl 8 months and we are looking at devonport, stanley bay - schools and kinders for 5 and 3 year olds as of next feb 2011.

i found all the info on this post very useful (thanks all!) and in fact, we are going next week to have a look around and visit the schools, kinders etc and get a feel (it is a bit closer for us!) so i will be happy to update you with what i find out... who knows, maybe our boys will be in school together if we make the same choice!

i do know both schools are definitely zoned. will send an update in a couple of weeks.

best wishes, natalie
    Natalie, just to let you know that Devonport State Kindy currently isn't taking children till they are a fair bit older than 3 - the actual age changes and it is a numbers issue more than anything else. So if you were thinking of going that route it would be a good idea to phone early December to find out the current situation.

If you were thinking of private kindys most have waiting lists and it's worth getting on them asap - I know it is already tricky to get into a few before next year. But another good tip, if you have your heart set on one particular Kindy and you arrive before the start of term 1, is to ask about 'holiday spaces' - this won't be a regular day but will be taking spare spaces while people are away. The reason this is a good thing to do, if you are far down the waiting list, is because once they know your face you tend to get bumped up the list - a case of once you're in, you're in.

Devonport isn't the only area with Preschool waiting lists etc so wherever you settle it's worth getting on to it quickly unless you don't mind waiting a term or two.

Cheers

Tia

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast