Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book - 'Where to Live in Auckland'

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    tried Amazon for this yesterday £90 I think not I double checked this and yes it was right, I ended up ordering from NZ direct for £25 in P & P as the Kiwi shop in London had sold out!
    I saw one advertised for about this price and dismissed it as a mistake.. Maybe not!

You'll find it a good read.

The book can be bought direct from the publishers in NZ at:

http://www.wheretoliveinauckland.co.nz/

If you buy the combo package with The Streetwise Homebuyer, postage to the UK becomes more cost effective. We found both books to be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by noodles3 View Post
    You are certainly right about house prices

It looks like my OH has got her work cut-out in finding us a place to rent first, then deciding which area to buy in..

So any help would be welcome from those who've been through this process already

The best bit of advice to me was, decide on the lifestyle you want and that will lead to deciding on a part of Auckland and then, eventually, a few suburbs.

And be prepared for lots of days driving round in the car!!!

We rented a serviced apartment in CBD until our container arrived. We had a pretty good idea of where we wanted to be by then, and didn't have to live without any belongings. Although of course living in CBD has a few drawbacks, especially if you have young kids to entertain. But we managed with two under-5's. We rented a house for 6 months then bought a little further up the Shore

Good luck!!

Thanks hosebergine.

The company I will be working for has agreed to put us up until our stuff arrives, and I guess, based on what they are saying, that it will be in a serviced apartment/Motel in or around the CBD.

We have a 21 month old and he is very active/mischievous (like his father apparently ) so I'd be interested to hear what/where are good places to take him for a run-around, that are also relatively safe.

I guess Lifestyle is a good place to start, as we do not have to worry about schools just yet, although we do need to find a good nursery.. Again if anybody has any suggestions, please let us know.

I've read quite a lot about the North Shore and it seems that a lot of Europeans choose this as their base. The pictures certainly do it justice and an area where we are definitely going to explore in more detail when we arrive.

Thanks for your reply.

N

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    The book can be bought direct from the publishers in NZ at:

http://www.wheretoliveinauckland.co.nz/

If you buy the combo package with The Streetwise Homebuyer, postage to the UK becomes more cost effective. We found both books to be very useful.
    I got both books and they are very interesting to read. I don't know if the UK folks find the NZ real estate market similar but it's very different from what we're used to here in Scandinavia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12