Thread: how long must you stay with 1st nz job

Default how long must you stay with 1st nz job

Hi everyone,
    Like alot of peoople we need a job offer gain enough points to submit ouir EOI
    Does anyone know how long you must stay with your 1st employer in nz? Hope this isn't a silly question. My husbands occupation is no longer on the list. Does this make a difference?

It's very understandable that you should be asking that question, but there isn't one simple answer.

If you are granted PR without any conditions, then there is no restriction on you.

However, quite a few people who get PR with a job offer have a Clause 18A added to the grant of PR. This isn't always the same, but in many cases, it says you have to take up the job you've been offered and work in it for three months.

If you go for some other kind of visa/permit, it will be for you to do THAT job, so if you wanted to change your job, it could only be for one of comparable skills, and you would have to apply for the right to transfer. So you would be in the first job, or a comparable one, for whatever the length of the work permit you had been granted.

About your second question, yes, not being on the lists does make a difference. As you'll see here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...tialskills.htm, NZIS say this.

What if my occupation is not on one of the lists?
    If you want to apply for a temporary work visa/permit (or recruit temporary workers from overseas), the occupation does not have to be on one of the lists. The employer must show that they have genuinely searched for suitably qualified and trained New Zealander workers, and we will undertake a labour market test. Alternatively, an employer with Approval in Principle may be able to recruit employers from overseas.
    (There are some links in that page that explain what some of those procedures mean.)

In other words, you wouldn't be able to get accepted by the Skilled Migrant route if the principal applicant's job is not listed at that time, but there are other ways in, with a job. The lists are reviewed and may be changed every six months, so your husband's job could appear again whenever the review finds a shortage.

Thankyou for you quick response. One employer that I emailed was impressed with my C.V. but said it is very hard for him to employ someone that he cannot talk to face to face. He hasn't had many applicants for the job and he says there is a real shortage of craftsmen. Our problem is that we don't have the finances to go to nz for interviews. I thought if he could offer me a job he might only have to promise me 3 mths work. Like you said that will depend on which visa. I feel confident that if I was in NZ I would find work.
    Thanx again.

I know, it's a Catch-22 situation. Maybe the man might go for a Skype interview?

What's your line of work? Could you be the principal applicant at Skilled Migrant instead of your husband?

I thought if he could offer me a job he might only have to promise me 3 mths work.
    This one won't fly. If you apply for a temporary work visa/permit, the job offer has to meet certain requirements http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...entialwork.htm, and the permit to be in NZ will be for that job. So if the offer was for three months, so would the permit be.

I'm a careworker for the elderly but I haven't got a Diploma level qualification. My job is not on the list either. Will have to work on this potential employer. The problem might be that the employer must prove that there is no kiwi qualified to do the job. He might think this to be too much hastle. ahhhhhhh we're not going to fall at the first hurdle. Determination and stubborness required I think!!!

Hi there,

We are going on a Work to Residence visa and my employer (in NZ) has asked me to sign-up with them for 2 years, partly due to the costs that they are incurring in brining us over (2 adults and a 21 month old), so it sounds fair to me.

I think this is quite common if there are significant costs involved in bringing you over.

Good luck though.