Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trips in South Island

Default Trips in South Island

Hi

Whats nice to see in January to see down there for say a weeks break ?

Trying to plan some trips and lookign out for some grabaseat deals ........

My dad is booking to come over (for those of you that know me on facebook .....this is top secret!)

Sharon
    xx

Wanaka
    Abel Tasman National park
    Tekapo

I would spend a while looking into this otherwise you could end up spending too much time driving & not spending anytime at one place.
    I Liked Motueka, great top10 site with a pool & stuff not too long from Picton if you went over on the ferry, found a lovely beach & the town was quite nice. Franz Josef was great too but I suppose it depends on what your Dad likes to do, is he happy sitting on teh beach or does he have to be on the go? Greytown was nice too for a day or 2, Shantytown was fun

Otago Peninsula is scenic and its fauna fantastic.

The Catlins are decent and Central Otago very nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    Greytown was nice too for a day or 2, Shantytown was fun
    Greytown is nice but it is on the North Island

Guess you meant Greymouth, sorry never rated it, would avoid if possible. On the other hand, Shantytown is worth a visit.

My vote would be for Akaroa near Christchurch.

Ian

Sharon
    Abel Tasman would be high on my list - can canoe in sea, laze on beautiful beaches, cafes or walk parts of the track via taxi boats - and it really is spectacularly beautiful.

check our the abel tasman photos on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/abeltasman/show/

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    Sharon
    Abel Tasman would be high on my list - can canoe in sea, laze on beautiful beaches, cafes or walk parts of the track via taxi boats - and it really is spectacularly beautiful.

check our the abel tasman photos on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/abeltasman/show/
    They were stunning pics, thanks for sharing!
    A must!!

Sharon
    x

I'd second Akaroa and Tekapo Greymouth is pretty basic town but the Punakaiki Rocks and the coast line up from Greymouth to Westport is just gorgeous..... Otago Peninsula down Dunedin way also pretty stunning but as Lindsey says you need to be fairly choosy otherwise you'll spend heaps of time just in a car... Check out my photos via Flicker on FB Sharon

Karen x

Sorry yes meant Greymouth, thought it had a nice little town & was a good place for a base to travel around the area

Definitely Abel Tasman and head over the hill to Golden Bay if you have time - stunning beaches, cafes, walks, nice farm park at Takaka. Drive down through the Buller gorge to Westport. Stop en route and venture over the huge swing bridge and take the flying fox back. Visit the lovely seal colony at Westport - great easy walkway and stunning beach. Drive down to Greymouth (not the best place itself) for Punakaiki and Shanty Town. Drive through Arthur's pass?

It depends how relaxing you want it to be really. You could just spend the week in Golden bay and be totally chilled at the end or drive to see some sights. Alternatively if you want to see some of Abel Tasman, Kaiteriteri is a beautiful base and is the start of lots of boat trips into Abel Tasman - you probably wouldn't be able to do the kayaking into the park because of Kyles age but you can do family kayak hire at Kaiteri itself - nice playground there too.

Kyle would probably enjoy the seals and also the gold panning/ train ride at Shantytown (just going on what S likes as they're the same age).

Contact me on FB if you'd like more info as I haven't been on here for ages. It does get pretty busy around Jan so you may need to book accom early - especially around Golden Bay, Abel Tasman area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast