Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northland, east coast, Tutukaka and nearby?

Default Northland, east coast, Tutukaka and nearby?

Planning a trip including bach stay (as can't persuade anyone to house swap, yet!) to Northland and like the look of the east coast north of Whangarei round Tutukaka and Matapouri.

But don't really know what it's like. We'll be hoping to explore beaches, body surf, do a trip to Poor Knights Island etc. as want my sister and nephew to experience some un-crowded space. However we'll be there peak xmas week so will it be packed? Anyone been there, live near there to know?

Where are the places no-one else goes?! Best beaches?

What about heading to the East Cape instead Carey? It would be much, much quieter and I'd imagine cheaper too! Plus you can put your kayaks in Waikaremoana and drive that classic dirt road from Opotiki down.

I would guess that it *will* be packed, I'm afraid. Hubby grew up in Whangarei and we got married in the Bay of Islands, so this is one of the few areas of NZ that I've actually visited

Absolutely gorgeous of course, but not as much elbow room as I'd like at peak times anyway..

The Tutukaka area is very propular with Aucklanders over the Christmas period so it will be busy.

You could visit Mimiwhangata Coastal Park (48km north of Whangarei), which has always been on my to-do list. DOC have three baches there that you could try for but they're usually booked about a year in advance. You might be able to find a private rental somewhere outside the park though.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...-coastal-park/

Alternatively, you could go even futher north beyond the BOIs to Doubtless Bay. There are lots of great beaches - Cable Bay, Taupo Bay etc., and a bit futher if you're prepared to travel is one of my personal favourites in NZ, Matai Bay. Manganoui Harbour is a lovely place and has a 'world famous' fish & Chip shop. When we stayed in this area, we also managed trips to Cape Reinga, Keri Keri and did some sandboarding down the massive dunes on the west coast. We went in the Jan school hols and it wasn't too busy.

http://www.doubtlessbay.co.nz/area.htm
    http://www.google.co.nz/images?hl=en...w=1209&bih=810

My OH about to do the big one. I was too chicken.

We did that in 2001 and my husband went down on the board stood up ... concussed himself at the bottom and had short term memory loss!

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    I would guess that it *will* be packed, I'm afraid. Hubby grew up in Whangarei and we got married in the Bay of Islands, so this is one of the few areas of NZ that I've actually visited

Absolutely gorgeous of course, but not as much elbow room as I'd like at peak times anyway..
    Yes this is what I'd feared.

Our reason for going is because we are going up to Dargaville/Baylys Beach to see family friends so thought we'd combine it with a east coast visit. Yes Kanga, I'd thought of East Cape and may reconsider.

So anyone know of nice places there instead?!

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Planning a trip including bach stay (as can't persuade anyone to house swap, yet!) to Northland and like the look of the east coast north of Whangarei round Tutukaka and Matapouri.

But don't really know what it's like. We'll be hoping to explore beaches, body surf, do a trip to Poor Knights Island etc. as want my sister and nephew to experience some un-crowded space. However we'll be there peak xmas week so will it be packed? Anyone been there, live near there to know?

Where are the places no-one else goes?! Best beaches?
    Not sure if you are a diver but Poor Knights is AWESOME!!! Jacque Cousteau ranked it as one of his 10 best dive sites in the world!!! If you do dive, check out Dive! Tutukaka! Have fun!!!

Do you think the Tutkaka area will be very crowded before Xmas; ie if we went from 19th to 24th Dec or so?
    Last edited by Carey; 27th July 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Tutukaka is fab as is Dive Tutukaka :-)

We stayed at Pacific Rendezvous for a few days in 2008 and camped at Tutukaka Holiday Park from 1st to 3rd Jan this year. It will be NZ busy I guess, but not Bournemouth when the sun comes out busy. Everyone was leaving when we got there in January and it was spot on.

If you drive a bit further north you get to some lovely quieter surf beaches - Woolleys Bay and Sandy Bay. And if you go round the corner from Tutukaka you hit Whangaumu Bay which is brilliant - particularly fun to Kayak in (Church Bay is good too).

I love it up there but I'm sure there are loads of other gorgeous places to investigate too

Have a fantastic trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by hosebergine View Post
    It will be NZ busy I guess, but not Bournemouth when the sun comes out busy.
    *snigger* yes, the grockles certainly come down in droves when it's sunny..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast