Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanmer springs?

Default Hanmer springs?

I've been planning a weekend vacation to Hanmer Springs with a friend. Have a few questions, though!

1) Is it advisable to visit during the winter, or is it much better during the summer?

2) Is it okay to drive there from Chch with a cheap rental car (and I mean really cheap, like the $30/day one)? Or should we just take the bus (cheapest I could find was $45 round trip pax).

3) Anything good (and cheap!) to do there, or nearby, besides the thermal pools and forest reserve walk? Not into extreme sports or adventure, and don't own a quad bike.

4) Which is the best backpackers lodge to stay in? I found a few at $60 for a double room, so not sure which to choose.

Thanks!

cant answer the last 2 but we loved it there in summer. a friend said he went there in winter with some mates and they put some beers on the side and sat in the thermal pools getting drunk!
    the drive there is beautiful and i'd happily do it on a motorbike

I also went during summer but i reckon it would be even better in winter, i also can't answer the other questions as we only stopped off there on the way back from the west coast to use the baths. We were there xmas eve and it was wonderful :-)

1. The season does not really matter. Have there been a couple of times. It depends on the - unpredictable - sun.

2. Always gone with a car; never thought of not doing so. You are that bit more flexible.

3. There is not too much else than the usual or adventure but the Thermal Pools.

4. Can't help you in that category.

Much fun there!

Quote Originally Posted by althea View Post
    3) Anything good (and cheap!) to do there, or nearby, besides the thermal pools and forest reserve walk? Not into extreme sports or adventure, and don't own a quad bike.
    There is a ski area near Hanmer but I don't know what it would cost.

Hi
    I went to Hamner a few weeks back. at the moment they are upgrading the pools,so a few of the pools are gone or out of order (best to ring for more details) No problems with taking a cheap run about as the roads are quiet. It will take you 90 mins to get to Hamner from Christchurch
    Try the top ten camping site in hamner as its closer to the centre of town, they have cabins to rent. It will be cold at night.
    As for things to do, mini golf, hire 4 wheel push bikes and there are around a dozen bars.there is also a winter festival coming up in August.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks, guys.

Is it really worth staying overnight, by the way, or is a day trip usually sufficient? Since we will only be using the pools on one day. I've found backpackers lodges at $60 per room - that's as cheap as it gets without dorming or camping, but it's still a significant expense to us so we'd like to know if it'd be worth it.

Also I was thinking of driving up the access road (Clarence Valley) to the ski fields carpark - even though I can't afford to ski, but I'd just love to see snow! I know I'd need snow chains to do that, but is it safe to do it in a budget car, still?

Winter festival was over, on the 3-4th of July. I'll call them up about the pools.

Was also thinking of stopping over in Waipara on the way, is it possible to see the vineyards without taking the wine tour?

You can do it in a day but Hanmer is quite a nice place to relax so staying over would certainly add to that. You can go walking during the day and then the pools in the evening which is nice.

Plenty of vineyards around Waipara without having to take the tour. You might want to check which ones are open at this time of year but Pegasus Bay and The Mud House are both worth a visit.

re 3. We consider The Wool Shed - opposite the main entrance of the Thermal Pools - as one quite high ranking store of that kind. Even though we do have several "wool" shops here in town we bought clothes there.

the monteiths bar there does excellent fush and chups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast