Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student visa: flights

Default Student visa: flights

Dear all,

Firstly, hello. I'm Andrew, and currently bogged down in visa application paperwork!

My question is: should I book my flight now, in order to specify an entry date to NZ on my application form, or can I provide an approximate entry date, and book my flight upon being granted my visa? I've looked everywhere for this answer, but to no avail.

With many thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    The approval process is long-winded - ours was fairly quick (see signature below) - so I suggest you hold fire on booking flights until you're had some feedback from NZIS

Quote Originally Posted by rogercruse View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    The approval process is long-winded - ours was fairly quick (see signature below) - so I suggest you hold fire on booking flights until you're had some feedback from NZIS
    Oh, and Welcome!

What kind of visa are you applying for? If it's a WHV, I think the process is pretty straightforward and quick. If you want to buy a ticket to avoid paying full price, it's worth to check the charges for changing the date of your flight.

Hello and welcome.

What course are you hoping to go on, and when does it start? If you're sure the course qualifies you for a student permit, NZIS usually get the visa done ready for the known start date - it's that that will carry weight with them, much more than a flight.

Thanks for the replies guys.

It's a postgrad, so there is no official start date - I have to specify when I want to enrol. I guess I should send a copy of my enrolment form with my visa application.

On the topic of flights, could I buy a single out to NZ, or it should be a return?

Andrew

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have sort of the same question. I am about to submit a student visa application but need to know, can I provide an approximate entry date? I don't want to book a flight without knowing if my visa is approved. Ideally, I would arrive three-four weeks before my course starts to explore, find a flat, and settle in a bit. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

Also, on the subject of return flights: Do I HAVE to have one booked? As far as I can tell, I can't book more than one year ahead of time... If anyone has experience with this they'd like to share, it would be much appreciated! Thank you for reading!

What you're looking for is a waiver of onward travel arrangements. It actually has to be written on your visa in black & white.

However if you have been accepted into a university, they will probably accept proof of funding instead (e.g. bank statement showing $x sum of money). Every case could be different, so once you get your visa do check with your CO on *your* specific terms.

Good luck!

strudel42, hello and welcome.

You can specify a start date. I dont think it is mandatory to provide visa officer an itinerary but you can still make a reservation without paying money. Emirates and turkish airlines allow reservation without paying money by credit card but of course they will give you time to pay.

Regarding return flight..... its your choice, usually return ticket is cheap rather than buying two single tickets but if you know when will you return you can buy it and don't forget the validity period of ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast