Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titirangi

Default Titirangi

We're contemplating a relocation from the Bays to Titirangi. But my kiwi pals say things like 'well, it's safe to drive through the West these days'.

Does/has anyone lived in Titigrangi? How did you find it? Is the schooling okay?

Nope, but researched it at one point and thought it a Very Good Option indeed. Can we come visit? The primary there looks great, not so sure about high options.

Was there the other day and it looks stunning. I myself would live there if it wasn't for the fact that it would be over and hours drive to work out south every day (saying that though I do Live with friends In Otara so anywhere looks better really than where I am). Don't know to much about it but everyone I've spoken to has said it's a really lovely area even the ones who claim to hate West Auckland. You will have to keep us updated on anything you find out, maybe in a few years I can look at that trasnfer with work.

I lived in Titirangi for 3,5 years, moved to Oratia a year ago (which is 5 minutes from Titirangi). Titirangi has great primary schools, a good intermediate but not so sure about the secondary schools. My son goes to Kaurilands Primary School, which is an excellent school.
    It is great living here. People are friendly and it is as safe as anywhere in Auckland . The village (as they call the heart of Titirangi here) has a real village feel to it. We have stunning beaches and the Waitakere Ranges on our doorstep.
    Anything else you would like to know, just ask!

My son, d-i-l and grandchildren live in Titirangi, and love it. I've just come off the phone with my d-i-l, hearing about the great things my grandson is doing in school. There isn't a secondary school, so ALL children have to bus out for that. The village is a great place to be, with a small-community feel about cafes, shops and amenities like the theatre and the library, and there are places to shop for larger items within an easy drive. There's a great craft market every month. Oh, and there are buses to take you into the CBD if you need that.

All that 'wild West' stuff is a knee-jerk taunt, based on a kind of myth that West Auckland is uncivilized. There's a slim reason for it, in that the east was lived in and built up sooner than the west, and a lot of the west remains native bush reserve, so there aren't as many people or amenities, but I don't think it was ever unsafe in human terms, only that you always need to watch out for yourself (like, don't fall off a mountain path or get into difficulty in deep water) if you go right away from where other people are.

We have good friends in Titirangi. It is a lovely area but very wet and lots of bush so you have to choose your house really carefully. Also they are looking to move into Central Auckland well before the kids get to secondary schools as they aren't good over there.

secondary schools as they aren't good over there
    There is the possibility of choosing where you send children on to, though, as they're going out of the area anyway. Also, as I've said on another thread, a school's nature can change very quickly - for instance, if you get a new head with new-broom ideas, the existing staff will either knuckle under and go along with it, or leave as soon as they can and be replaced with people who are prepared to implement what s/he wants. So whatever your friends don't like the sound of isn't necessarily set in stone.

From what i've seen on the web, Titirangi looks idyllic and worth a long commute. In reality, does it feel like being on holiday when you are back from a long day's work and living it up in Titirangi? Also, had a quick look at Waiatarua, how does that compare to Titirangi? Is it still a doable commute to North Shore or CBD?

What sort of 'living it up' are you expecting? That gives me an impression of nightclubs, etc., which are more a feature of the inner city or certain places on the shore.

Waiatarua... Is it still a doable commute to North Shore or CBD?
    It entirely depends on what you want, and how happy you are, driving. You're not on for public transport in the same way as you are in Titirangi village, so you'd have to be prepared to use your car. People do commute, even from farther west again, e.g. Piha, but it's obviously a longer run to factor into your day, EVERY working day. And the roads are mountain roads - sealed, yes, but steep and twisty, and with deep gulleys to take rainwater at the sides, that you seriously would NOT want to drop a wheel in. Go on Google StreetView and you'll see what I mean. There are fewer houses, more spread out, than in Titirangi, surrounded by native bush. If it's what you like, that's great - we sha'n't be far from there ourselves one day, I hope. But if you expect to be in the middle of other people's lives and in quick walking distance of anywhere, then no.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    What sort of 'living it up' are you expecting? That gives me an impression of nightclubs, etc., which are more a feature of the inner city or certain places on the shore.
    I was more thinking of coming home after a long day and sitting on the deck soaking in the beautiful surrounds though I might put on a little music...

What you've described sounds like what we are looking for, far from the madding crowds. Maybe we shall be neighbours one day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast