Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Love Southland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking I Love Southland

My only gripe about people in New Zealand is how they down each other's cities...People in Auckland talk about how horribly windy and rainy it is in Wellington and how country it is in the Northland; people in Christchurch talk about how Nelson isn't that warm and there is nothing to do, people in Wellington down Christchurch because its not as cosmopolitan as they are and people EVERYWHERE talk horribly about the Southland and I don't know why?!!

I was honestly in a panic when our job offers for OH and I came through for Invercargill. I had heard so much negative stuff about it I wasn't willing to give it a try. I'm glad I don't listen to EVERYTHING everyone says!
    Like everything in life, certain things won't appeal to everyone...we are not all the same, everyone has different likes, dislikes, needs and wants.

When we were deciding to come, we thought about several critical things:
    1) We knew we wanted to be in New Zealand
    2) We love outdoor activities and are avid runners/hikers/bikers/divers
    3) The happiest we've ever been is when we lived in cities in the US that had populations of less than 100K people...
    We agreed to take the jobs here and I am so glad i didn't listen to the nay-sayers!!!

We have had a wonderful time, the people are awesome, I love my job and the people I work with and I feel like i'm at HOME!!!
    Aside from that, we are only hours from some of the BEST PLACES NZ HAS TO OFFER! I feel so lucky to have the Fiordlands at my doorstep!
    In the short 6 weeks i've been here I have seen some of the most beautiful places this country has to offer, all within a 2.5 hour drive from my house!!!

-there is a beautiful beach 15 minutes from my house (I don't care if the water is too cold to swim..i like to look at it; but that is also why God made planes and the Cook Islands)
    -Queenstown and all the ski slopes
    -Queenstown and all the Great Walks
    -Milford and Doubtful
    -The Caitlans (OMG! just went for the day...breathtaking!)
    -The Otago Peninsula (the drive is stunning)
    -Central Otago with all the yummy wine!

I'm sorry for the long vent but if one more person gives me that "Oh, poor you living in Southland" look I will go nuts!!!
    I just want to tell them: "Come down and visit before you make a judgement!!! I'm glad I did"!
    -from a happily settled Southlander!
    Love the one your with!!!!

Happy for you.

Default cbrown

Im always think Southland looks wonderful. I sit and see the piccies on the weather slot and always think it looks gorgeous.
    But then I regularly have friends from Welly and Auckland telling me Im mad to live in Taupo because its so cold.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post

I regularly have friends from Welly and Auckland telling me Im mad to live in Taupo because its so cold.
    Cant comment to the weather as Ive never been on NZ myself yet, but I think that if you would live in a decent insulated house it has a dramatic effect on how comfortable you feel when home. How cold/warm the air feels outside is a question of adjusting it and wearing the right kind of clothes. And of course the country you come from has got you to adjust to a certain type of climate so people probably compare their new climate to the one they left behind when saying that some place is warmer/colder.

Cheers, Mika
    Last edited by mika_; 1st August 2010 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Im always think Southland looks wonderful. I sit and see the piccies on the weather slot and always think it looks gorgeous.
    But then I regularly have friends from Welly and Auckland telling me Im mad to live in Taupo because its so cold.
    I think Taupo is really nice place! is it so cold at Taupo? i thought welly is colder?

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    I think Taupo is really nice place! is it so cold at Taupo? i thought welly is colder?
    You have to check the climate tables. T. has a bit more of a continental climate as oppsosed to a maritime one in W.

I will see for myself, I will be in Invercargill from 12th January for 5 days.

Looking forward to the drive from Dunedin.

Rebecca

Glad your settled and yes Southland is wonderful...

Rebecca
    Last edited by Buffy123; 1st August 2010 at 07:41 AM.

I know where your coming from it gets on my nerves all the rivalry. Never been to Southland, maybe one day when the kids are a bit older & can tolerate the journey a bit more.
    I get annoyed at people that live in the country & feel sorry for us because we live in the city, well suburbs. I love the country, to drive through & spend some time there but for me the thought of living there scares me, the remoteness, but I wouldn't down it as it's beautiful yet people I have met from the country down the city or suburbs & can't see that this is what we want & we have so much on our doorstep that we want, like you say it's each to their own but I do wish people would open their minds & imagine life somewhere else not just dismiss it. I love seeing pretty remote places & thinking I would love to live there but the thought of it does send me in to a panic! Anyway enough venting from me too
    Oh & Taupo, I have a fond memory of being able to sit out in the evening to have a meal & it was so warm, I was taken aback by being able to as where I am it's almost impossible because of the chill

Hi cbrown that was a nice post to read, it's always nice to hear about someone happy where they are - I am in the Waikato and I love it here - so I am happy for you! I remember the Catlins from a trip round NZ years ago, beautiful forests and beaches - at one beach I remember watching seals playing in the rock pools, it was amazing! I hope everything works out well for you and you continue enjoying Southland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast