Thread: Affordable Auckland suburbs with sea views?

Default Affordable Auckland suburbs with sea views?

Hi guys. I am interested in living the NZ dream and buying a house in Auckland with sea views, near beaches (walking or cycling distance). Must have reasonable public transport links to the CBD also. Haven't visited Auckland yet but was wondering what areas of the city would fit that criteria?

Looking at property listings and reading this forum Brown's Bay sounds like such a place. Any others anyone can recommend? Budget would be up to $750,000 for a 3 bedroom place but cheaper is better .

Thanks for any help.

Hey dastott, welcome!

You could definately get something within Browns Bay for the $750 mark, with views and cycling distance to the sea... and for that price probably something a litte further south. The only trade-off with Browns Bay is the commute to the CBD - you're probably looking around 35mins to an hour each way.

You may be better looking at the eastern beaches, i.e. Mission Bay, Kohi and St Heliers.. although you maybe stretching sea views with that budget.

Alternatively you get a better bang for your $ if you choose areas like Northcoate and Birkenhead... good views, better transport times, a village centre... but the trade off is that you are definately a cycle ride from a sandy beach.

Hope this is help!

If you don't mind a 5 minute drive to the Albany Park & Ride with free car parking, and very regular buses into the CBD, then definitely consider Brown's Bay. Buses run from very early in the morning to the wee hours, and off peak the bus ride can be under 20 minutes, although more like 25 minutes at peak times....when we lived close by there was a bus every 4-5 minutes too Oh and if you wanted to cycle to the park & ride, there are a few fully enclosed bike storage cubicles that cost $2 per day.

Check out the Maxx website for a better idea...

http://www.maxx.co.nz/

Thank you. That is very helpful. Will have a look at property listings for those places, and will reccie on the ground in a few months.

[/QUOTE ]

Check out the Maxx website for a better idea...

http://www.maxx.co.nz/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this site

Lots of suburbs with seaviews near the beach, I would check out the school zones first, then find a suburb you like. Browns Bay is lovely, Mairangi is good as well, if you like somewhere to buy a coffee while at beach.

Quote Originally Posted by doowrehsij View Post
    You could definately get something within Browns Bay for the $750 mark, with views and cycling distance to the sea... and for that price probably something a litte further south. The only trade-off with Browns Bay is the commute to the CBD - you're probably looking around 35mins to an hour each way.
    And in one sentence you capture the reason a Londoner such as myself might want to emigrate. It's an hour commute each way from my tiny two bed house in North London to my office in central London with no chance of a cycle ride to anywhere exciting like a beach (a cycle ride anywhere would probably result in me being flattened by a Tesco delivery lorry). And it's underground. And sweaty.