Thread: Bring gently used canvas tent?

Default Bring gently used canvas tent?

I am packing up and sorting all our stuff for the big move. We have several tents. I am cleaning them inside out but they are not new and on especially the canvas tent shows some scuffs. How worried should I be for MAF inspections when bringing this and does anyone have an idea what fumigating would cost in the worst case?

Thanks

Scuffing won't matter, as long as it has obviously been cleaned. What MAF look for is any kind of dirt that could harbour life, and they look very carefully at things that are obviously going to have been used outdoors. So you need to make sure there is no soil, as there could be microbes, seeds or insect eggs in it, no plant debris as there could be seeds, fungus or insects, and no cobwebs, as there could be spiders, insects or eggs. Watch out for hollow spaces, e.g. the poles, as they're going to go straight for those to check.

Thanks for your advise. I vacumed and cleaned with pinesol inside out. There is no spec of dirt and the poles (go only inside) and I touched up chips with same colour rust paint. I give it a try!

Thanks again

I forgot to clean our groundsheet and pegs, MAF charged $90 which was fine by me!

We're bringing our canvas tent too, which would have been in sparklingly new condition if we hadn't put it up last week.. but we've gotten fed up and are taking it proper camping next weekend

We'll clean it as best we can and have decided that fumigation costs etc (if it's not perfect) will be ok, because we'll still have our awesome tent.

We brought 3 or 4 tents with us. Disinfected all of the poles and ground pegs, plus vaccumed the tents thoroughly and wiped down. No problems with MAF whatsoever.