Thread: short term car insurance

Default short term car insurance

Anybody else got caught out with car insurance?
    Mine is due for renewal, but only need 2 months worth (fingers crossed)
    I'm either being quoted stupid amounts for monthly short term or will be slapped with huge cancellations fees.

Whats the answer?

Have you called round lots of places only I'm sure we had the same but found a place who I canjnot remember that advised to take the year out then cancel it was the only way to get the price down

Well you could take a year paying monthly and then just cancel the payments when you are ready to leave. They won't like it but frankly, do you care?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I've cancelled car insurance mid-way through the year and had no problems. Maybe a small admin charge, but there was no issue. I would do as Mylesdw says though and pay monthly, that way you're not left waiting for a refund.

The trick seems to be finding the companies with a small admin fee, so far the average is 50 to cancel.

that makes a very expensive 2 months insurance.
    (shrug)
    still looking . . . .

I've been caught in the same problem - not helped by moving to temp accomodation at the same time as all car tax/mot and insurance are due to be renewed and I only need the car for one month!
    Answer seems to be pay up front and cancel for the 50 - I've not found cheaper.
    AA were v. good about the breakdown though and they allow you to cancel anytime at no cost.

Please post back if you find a better solution in the next week or so!

You'll be pleased to know that you don't have to worry about this sort of nonsense in NZ. If you cancel your insurance (car or house) you generally get a refund no questions asked without any admin fees.

Be careful with the monthly then cancel approach. In some cases you actually buy and annual policy, and then take a loan out repaid over 11 months with a deposit equal to 1 month. So in this case then you in theory could still be chased by the loan company (who may be a hidden company within the insurance company you thought you were dealing with). Just worth checking.

(I was the opposite way round, I actually sold the car 2 weeks before the end of my policy, so just said nothing and didn't renew).