Thread: teacher salary

Default teacher salary

is there any difference between secondary and primary teachers?
    also.. what do both get paid when fresh into the industry before doing the 2 years and getting "recommended" and what does it rise to?
    cheers all

not sure
    look at nzei.org.nz website (Primary teachers Union) and it lists salaries

The Ministry of Education's Collective Agreements detail Secondary, Primary & Area school salary scales/steps here:
    http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...greements.aspx

My understanding is that qualified teachers start on Step 7 - which for Secondary is $45,653.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

Can't help but echo someone's advice in a previous thread - see if you can help in a couple of different classrooms to see where you feel better in - primary or secondary. Having taught, I found different pay can fade into insignificance if you're with the "wrong" age group - i.e. not the one which best suits your personality.

I seem to recall seeing a thread where you said you were thinking of retraining to be a teacher but I can't recall whether you mentioned a subject. If you're thinking about a secondary subject you might want to consider whether your subject is an option choice or not - then at least the kids walking through your door are choosing to be there. With English and Maths, for instance, they don't have that choice and you can end up with a lot of problems in some of your classes because of reluctant learners.

thanks everyone for your advice, all taken on board. im going to go for a cheeky recce for a day at my sons' school and see what i think.
    im figuring that primary may suit me but i'll reserve judgement.
    By the way, can you move between primary and secondary at will?

I think strictly speaking no but in practice, people do. A friend of ours trained for primary, couldn't get a job in a Yr 0 to 6 primary so went for an intermediate job (Yr 7 and 8), which is fine with primary training if you teach up to Yr 8 but now he takes senior classes for all sorts of subjects!

Be interested in your view once you go into your son's school but remember schools vary hugely, so try and volunteer in several to get an all round picture. My OH went into a secondary school many yrs ago in Uk, was horrifed and vowed never to go anywhere near teaching but after spending time in a primary school, his views changed completely.

ive still got a coupla years to decide as start uni in march to do a masters which will take 16 months and then do the teaching dip

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    can you move between primary and secondary at will?
    The Teacher's Council has a web page about this which says that it depends on the training program you attend. In general, primary and secondary teachers can all teach intermediate but for a secondary trained teacher to teach primary might require additional training.

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/te/ite.stm