Thread: Idp

Default Idp

Which IDP do I need for NZ 1949 or 1926?

Thanks!

If you hold a full foreign driving licence, you don't need an international one at all - you can drive on the foreign one for 12 months, which gives you ample time to sort out getting an NZ one. http://www.newzealand.com/travel/get...aland-home.cfm

Thanks, I know that, but I want both as we are hiring cars, campervans and trucks for various reasons, and some companies are saying they are okay with UK ones, but some want IDPs too. For the small cost I thought it was worth getting one anyway just to be sure.

In that case, moving on, I didn't even know there were two kinds of IDP. Watching with interest!

Strange but I can't find the answer on any of the NZ road/driving sites or the UK AA website.

I found this. http://www.car-hire-centre.co.uk/int...ng-permit.html

Where Do You Need Them?
    IDPs are required for driving in the following countries. Some countires apply special conditions to their use. If the country you are visiting is not listed you are advised to check the requirements with the relevant tourist office or embassy. .
    I guess NZ is not on the list because the government do not require the use of an IDP at all. If you were to contact their tourist office or embassy, they would just say, 'Neither.'

I know - it's annoying really - I guess in that case they'd probably take either at the hire companies.