Thread: Moving within NZ

Default Moving within NZ

Sorry to keep asking so many questions, but sorting out finances before we leave the UK is a top priority now, so ....

Has anyone moved their belongings (20ft container's worth) around NZ using a local moving company. If so, could you let me know roughly what you paid and the rough journey it took. I just need to know if my quotes are coming in about right.

Many thanks!

I don't know the answer but I have a thought regarding this....now I'm not saying all NZ service companies are shady, but my Kiwi friends offered to get quotes for things to get me better prices. There have been those who hear the foreign accent and add a bit. Do you have friends in NZ who might be able to ring up a few quote for you?

Generally, moving companies here are expensive. I know people who have paid almost as much for their 'inter-island' move as they did from the UK to NZ!!

Many people here are into the DIY version and people pitch in and help each other with the loading and unloading using a hired van.

Try NZ Van Lines - they seem to have a good reputation:

http://www.nzvanlines.co.nz/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by norma View Post
    Try NZ Van Lines - they seem to have a good reputation:

http://www.nzvanlines.co.nz/index.php
    Interesting, I recall around 4 years ago they had a very bad reputation, so much so that the UK mover would make a point of saying that they didn't use them for the NZ part of the move.

Of course that was a while ago now and they may well be much better?

Ian

Hi there....

We used Crown, a 20ft container to go from New Plymouth to Blenheim. All travel, packing and insurances...a smidge under $4000.

Maybe my quotes aren't that bad then - 20ft container up to a max of $1,800 from Wellington to anywhere in North Island. They are aware that it is for a returning Kiwi so maybe that helped?