Thread: renters insurance

Default renters insurance

Just a quick question that i'm hoping someone can help with. My OH and I head out to Wellington next Saturday and once we arrive we have somewhere that is fully furnished to stay until the container arrives but then we are planning to rent for a while before we buy. After experience of renting in the UK I know that you have to get renters insurance for your own pocessions and i'm guessing its the same in NZ. Can anyone recommend an insurer and provide any advise on how to go about it, which companies to avoid etc? Many thanks

Not sure they sell a renters insurance but you are correct that you should get insurance that covers your possessions and also covers any claim that the landlord may make against you should something happen.

As per your thread on car insurance, buying more than one policy from the same company will give you an additional discount, and we would recommend AMI.

Ian

We used AMI when renting for our contents, still use them now.

I have multi policies with STATE and am very happy with them.

I went with the AA for contents. Bit odd in that I have not a lot with me for now, but what I do have is quite expensive (cameras, laptop, bike) and this meant that insurance was a bit tricky. Also AA didn't need valuations, where National Bank did.

went with AMI for contents insurance while renting, and when we recently bought we stuck with them for the home insurance too.

Hello! As others have said, you need a contents & liability insurance for your rental, usually called simply contents insurance. The amount you pay is dependent on the value of your own stuff (the liability cover seems to be a pretty much standard one), and we noticed that it pays off to shop around and get at least 2-3 quotes from different companies. In our home country it always paid off to get all our insurance cover from the same company, but in NZ it's not always the case, we noticed. Our contents & liability and car insurances are from our bank here and our life/income protection insurance is from another company. Even though our bank company included a 15% discount in the quote based on us already being their customers, another company's premiums are still almost 200 nzd less per year with the same coverage.

We have comprehensive contents and car insurance with state who have never asked to see evidence of no claims or penalised for UK driving licences etc. Was pretty easy to just ring them up and get them to work out what we needed. Think the contents insurance aspect is in the region of $30 per fortnight.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    I have multi policies with STATE and am very happy with them.
    Me too...and they are excellent. Their contents insurance covers damage to landlords property and loss / theft of items away from the home.

We have insurance (home contents and car) through the AA - cheapest quotes for us while shopping around as we got a discount for being members. Easy application form, all done online and no requirement to see no claims discount certificates etc.

Not had to make a claim yet (it's only been a year!) so don't know how good they are when you are asking for money instead of paying it