Thread: Irish Police Check

Default Irish Police Check

I live in the UK and have a UK passport, but as my father was Irish I also have an Irish passport -although I've never lived in Ireland.

The day before submitting our ITA I discovered I needed a Criminal Records Check from Ireland and not just the UK police check! However, NZ House London accepted my ITA but said the Irish Police check must follow. By the way if you haven't lived in Ireland and are applying via your UK passport all you need a 'Data Protection Access Request' Form F20

It costs 6.35 Euro and they'll only accept cheques or postal orders - which I can't write and the post office don't do, so I sent them a 10euro note - but they've returned it! And when I finally got through on the phone (12th time of asking as lines always busy) they said they have a 4 week backlog.

So I am hoping on Monday my bank (Smile) will be able to help and write a cheque in euros!

Posted this to inform anyone who has an Irish passport and just in case anyone knows an easy way of getting a cheque made out for 6.35 euros!

okay i know i,m talking to myself here but just incase you are also having to obtain an Irish Police check ... if you applying for residence in NZ but not residing in Ireland then what you need is a Data Protection Access Request Form any queries ring Garda Central Vetting Unit +353 504 27300
    It costs 6.35 euros but they will only accept cheques, money orders or postal orders.

Post offices in the UK don't do postal order in euros and you can't write a cheque out so the only way of doing it is to go through your bank and get a draft money order made via their Foreign Services section and with Smile Bank this costs £25!

So my cheque for 6.35 euro about £5 is going to cost £30 - that's a healthy profit for the poor banks. Daft that the Garda wont accept Visa debit or credit too.

Quote Originally Posted by themilkybarkid View Post
    So my cheque for 6.35 euro about £5 is going to cost £30 - that's a healthy profit for the poor banks. Daft that the Garda wont accept Visa debit or credit too.

oh, thats a ******! have you tried any other banks that have operations in Ireland (maybe Natwest) or even the likes of Thomas Cook? Or would they accept a sterling postal order for a couple quid extra to cover bank fees? Probably cheaper for you to fly over for the day & buy one locally!!

how soon do you need it?

I am going home to Ireland on the 20th for the weekend and I *think* I have a chequebook at home which I could write a cheque for you from, if not I can certainly get one written by someone!

If you are able to wait till about the 25th (which is when it would get to you by post) then I will be able to sort that out.

Let me know.

(I am new so can not post PM's but will increase my post rate to allow me to do so so that I can get your address)

P

MBK, you weren't exactly talking to yourself - I did see what you'd put, but hadn't any help to offer.

Lin - thanks for the ideas -I've gone ahead.

P - many thanks very kind - but I've splashed out the cash as I don't want delay INZ.

JandM - sorry I wasn't complaining about talking to myself - I really put the info up for reference to help others -just so anyone with an Irish passport might be forewarned

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You don't have to provide a certificate from your country of citizenship if you've never lived there.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...cecertificate/
    But specifically:
    Residence
    - All applicants aged 17 years or over must provide police certificates at the time a residence application is lodged unless there is a different instruction in the country-specific information (see below).
    - If you have lived for periods of 12 months or more in any other countries during the last ten years, you must also provide police certificates from these countries, and also your country (or countries) of citizenship unless you can provide satisfactory evidence that you have never lived there.
    I guess the trick might be proving you've never lived there - not quite sure how you do that.