Thread: How to get PR from PhD?

Default How to get PR from PhD?

Hey everyone first post here hope you can help. I'm Irish, 28 and currently studying for my PhD at the English dept at the University of Otago, Dunedin. I have a BA and Masters in English from home, then spent a couple of years working in admin. Am a little confused about what the best way is for me to go about making myself permanent in NZ via the Skilled Worker channel. Can I claim points for work experience as a senior administrator? Thanks everyone!!

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by dublin2dunedin View Post
    Can I claim points for work experience as a senior administrator?

Depends on if you meet the requirements for being qualified / experienced as a senior administrator. Unfirtunately the website is down today for maintanence, but it's 'Appendix 11' that you want to look for and that will tell you what you need to be able to claim the points.

The requirements are all fairly prescriptive, so it's not normally the case of you chosing one from a list that sounds like you could make your CV look a bit simmilar and hoping. I'm not suggesting that wa what you were doing, but study the requirements and be honest with yourself as to what you actually have.

Hi and welcome!

I'll take stab at an answer....was your work experience on the Long Term Skills Shortage List? (LTSSL) If so, the degree and work experience will give you a good # for the EOI. Otherwise, if you don't have a NZ work permit, you can see if you can qualify for a working holiday visa or a BUNAC visa, ( I'm not sure how these work with your student visa) and accumulate NZ experience to use in the EOI. Have you checked the points indicator? The INZ site is down right now so I don't have a direct link but it's at http://www.immigration.govt.nz
    Good luck!

Yes I had checked and admin work wasn't on the Long Term Skills Shortage list grr . It just seems a little strange though that I'd come to NZ, spend 3 years here on a full scholarship and then after amassing all this knowledge and tax payers money have to leave again! Have already gone through the whole medical and chest x-ray palaver as well.

Guess I'll just have to find myself a Kiwi partner!!

You'd need new medicals for a PR application (Kiwi partner or not ).

Another idea to hunt for when the NZIS site is up again - I have a feeling there is a permit specially designed for people who have been studying long-term in NZ to job-hunt on (or something like that).

Cool thanks a million, I think I'll go in and talk to the International Office here at the uni as well, I'm sure they've seen these sort of queries many a time before. If anyone else has any experience of getting PR after studying here it'd be great to hear as well though!

See page 5 of this leaflet. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...60A/0/1013.pdf You CAN get a job-search permit once you have completed your NZ degree.

Chur bro! (See, I've integrated already )