Thread: Work to Residence Visa - defacto - unclear when to submit her paperwork.

Default Work to Residence Visa - defacto - unclear when to submit her paperwork.

Hi all,
    I'm new to the board, and feeling a little overwhelmed as I've just been offered a job in Auckland. I'm having a little trouble understanding one key (to me!) point about the work to residence visa program, involving my partner.

She and I have been together for ages and are defacto in Australia (US citizens, living in Melbourne) so that should be fine, but I'm unclear when to submit her paperwork. The way I read it, I've got to have my visa approved before she can submit paperwork for hers. Is this right?

My hope was that I could post my application, her application, and the form linking the two in the same package with all the other documentation.

Does anyone have insight into this process?

Cheers,
    Brendan

We applied for work visas and submitted both of ours at the same time (I had a job, partner was applying based upon our relationship with no job). I'm pretty sure its the same for WTR - I think there's a footnote that says somewhere that if you are applying at the same time they will deal with your applications together, hence they don't need proof of your visa for her application because you don't have it yet.

If in doubt ring NZIS.

Hello and welcome bmshanley.
    All you need to know about this program (WTR) is it on http://www.immigration.govt.nz.

You have to complete the EOI form for you as a principal applicant under the Skilled Migrant Category. The EOI form has a section for PARTNER'S IDENTITY where you will submit your partner's info. The requirements for including your partner in your application for residence are:
    - you have been living together in a genuine and stable partnership
    - you have been living in the relationship for a minimum period of 12 moths
    - you and your partner meet the minimum requirements for "recognition of a partnership" (aged 18y+, you met prior to your application being made, you are not close relatives).
    You will be given points (you can claim points for your partner also) and you will be selected from a pool.

After EOI selection you will receive and ITA (Invitation to Apply) form. It will be accompanied by an Application for Residence Guide which is a guide to understanding and completing you Application for Residence under the SMC. You only have to follow the steps for logging your application.

Good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by bmshanley View Post
    She and I have been together for ages and are defacto in Australia (US citizens, living in Melbourne) so that should be fine, but I'm unclear when to submit her paperwork. The way I read it, I've got to have my visa approved before she can submit paperwork for hers. Is this right?

My hope was that I could post my application, her application, and the form linking the two in the same package with all the other documentation.

Does anyone have insight into this process?

Cheers,
    Brendan
    You can submit all visa applications together in the same package and NZIS will work it out for you.

Also, select multiple entry visa option so that you can come and go as you please.

Ian

Hello and welcome.

Thanks everyone. I have no doubt that I'll have more questions to post about all sorts of stuff as time moves on.

It never occurred to me to just call NZIS. Calling that kind of entity in the US would be futile...

They have their moments, and I'm sure some individuals are more clued up than others, but NZIS are pretty good on the whole. For instance, if you use the online help (available through the 'contact us' page on their site), for a general query (NOT some detail of your case that you would need to raise with a CO), they promise you'll get a reply within three days, and it happens.