Thread: Education Fees

Default Education Fees

The PR application is taking way longer than I had expected. It has been 15 months since my EOI was submitted and more than 12 months since the ITA.

Time is becoming an essence.

I am planning to send my daughter to NZ to pursue her studies in Feb 2011. At the rate the PR application is going, I would expect to pay for international fees. Most likely the fees would be paid by Nov/Dec timeframe.

My question is -- what happens if NZIS decides to finally approve my PR AFTER the (international) fees have been paid? Are the fees paid by semester or by yearly? Will the fees be refundable?

I tried looking at the various websites but could not get any info. Appreciate if any of you have had this experience before.

Thanks.

Regards fees, I do know that as earlier on in the year to rules and regs were changed in relation to immigrants being able to get assistance etc etc and that there would be no support for 2 years from receiving PR, not sure how this is going to affect you.

kejktfc

Your case sounds similar to ours. My daughter went to study in Christchurch (and has been there since then) on Student visa. I'd suggest pay the fee in semester - this was possible for us & school agreed by it. As far as I know, school fee is not refundable and since the day you get your PR, you will need to pay local student fee from following semester onwards.

We got our PR while my daughter was about to start her new year, so I don't have much knowledge on refunds. It will be worthwhile checking with the school, they must be having a coordinator who will know the process.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bulu View Post
    The PR application is taking way longer than I had expected. It has been 15 months since my EOI was submitted and more than 12 months since the ITA.

Time is becoming an essence.

I am planning to send my daughter to NZ to pursue her studies in Feb 2011. At the rate the PR application is going, I would expect to pay for international fees. Most likely the fees would be paid by Nov/Dec timeframe.

My question is -- what happens if NZIS decides to finally approve my PR AFTER the (international) fees have been paid? Are the fees paid by semester or by yearly? Will the fees be refundable?

I tried looking at the various websites but could not get any info. Appreciate if any of you have had this experience before.

Thanks.

Hi i'd advise double checking with the uni but i am in a similar situation and was told i could apply as an international student, pay the fees and then when pr came through the uni would do a refund down to domestic fees x

Thanks guys.

Will check with the University if fees can be made at each semester instead of the whole year.

The University operate on 2 semesters here. U only enrol for the first semester and u pay for the fees. As to whether half way thru' the semester, u got ur PR whether u can get a refund or not is interesting as u are only a PR after u get a PR & landed. What u r looking at is a landing prior to getting a PR. As for international student category, I suppose u can also pay semester fees like what locals/PR do..... Hence worse case is u may have to pay higher fees for half a year.
    I am a M'sian too, my whole process of application thru' Beijing was initiated by EOI 2.5 years ago, then the commited timing for the process of SMS application was short (<6months?) My whole process with medical referral took almost one & half years, goodness. Now officially the time frame has been increased..... I hv no idea why it took so long in Beijing,.... I heard Shanghai is the same - long time. Anyway, be patient & all the best.

Just to share the response from Auckland University :

Kia ora,
    Thank you for your enquiry.
    With respect to the order of your questions:
    1. Once an applicant becomes and student with us, you may then pay for tuition. You are welcome to per semester or the annual tuition fee. Please bare in mind if you pay one semester in full, the student visa will only be valid for that one semester- unless for a renewal of the visa. If, however, you pay for the entire
    year, the visa will be valid for the whole year.
    2. Should you pay for the entire year and gain Permanent Residency within the first two Fridays of the semester, we can refund the difference between domestic fees and international fees.
    3. On the 28/08/2010, we have a courses and careers day at our City Campus: http://www.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/f...d-careers-day/
    If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us again.