Thread: Transfer Time

Default Transfer Time

We arrive in AKL on Sep 2nd, and have booked a separate domestic flight to Napier on a Smart Saver ticket. We have just discovered that the arrival time in Auckland is now 30 mins later than when we booked in February!
    Our worry is that this may leave insufficient time for us to clear customs etc and transfer our luggage for domestic check-in.

(We have been told by ANZ that we can not check it in at the Domestic desk in the International terminal because we arrive AKL on an Emirates flight, and have not booked through to Napier as our final destination - thought we were being "savvy" and saving on the fare!)

If we arrive on time we have a clear 1 hr. 50 mins. from arrival to the final baggage check time - hopefully enough if all goes smoothly?

Would be glad of other people's thoughts/ experiences or tips please!! -We've always had a long wait in Auckland on previous visits.

Thanks in anticipation!

Barbara

You'll probably be OK, as long as there's no significant delay to your Emirates flight. Obviously if it's late, and you miss your domestic flight, you're out of luck as it isn't on a through ticket, and it's with a different airline. We met some friends off an Emirates flight at the weekend - it landed on time and it was about an hour later before they came through the arrivals door. You've then got about a 15 minute journey to the domestic terminal. So you should be OK, but there isn't much contingency.

Domestic flights are pretty relaxed with check in with AirNZ. In fact when I go to ChCh then my internal connecting flight doesn't land until 25 minutes before take off and they still get the baggage sorted. There's only 20-50 on the flights, so it's easier to do quickly.

You'll be fine. The walk between terminals is about 10-15 minutes, but I had less than 2 hours, and had time to buy a phone, get a shower, have breakfast and skype with my OH and parents. If it was less than an hour then I'd guess it would be a bit squeaky bum, but 2.5 hours total is easy.

And as you can't change the flight anyway, then there's nothing to be gained by worrying. 90% sure it will be fine, 9% sure if you miss the time then AirNZ will sort something out either as a late checkin or bump you and understand why. And there's really nothig to be gained by thinking about that remaining 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    And as you can't change the flight anyway, then there's nothing to be gained by worrying. 90% sure it will be fine, 9% sure if you miss the time then AirNZ will sort something out either as a late checkin or bump you and understand why. And there's really nothig to be gained by thinking about that remaining 1%.
    Thanks Duncan, and also bluesky.

Duncan, you sound just like my OH - his advice exactly!

We arrived on a short transfer time in 2007 to find a long queue at the check-in and weren't allowed on the flight in spite of pleading our extenuating circumstances. On that occasion the rest of the family were newly arriving immigrants so I suspect the decision may have been influenced by the 14 x 23 kg suitcases and 7 lots of hand luggage, not to mention the generous duty free allownces!

On that occasion we had follow-on tickets so we were automatically put on the next flight. Suppose it will be cheaper to forego the duty free if time is short........

Thanks again, we'll just keep our fingers crossed!