Thread: Things from USA

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Things from USA

Hello dear folks..

We have a quote to ship less-than-a-container load, with only the stuff we really cant part with and are expensive to replace. I have been planning to bring few things with our luggage to start with. viz the basic toiletries, pot,pan, knife and board, Mr. Clean , etc., and shipping rest of the stuff.
    The quote we got, is for a 200 cu.ft Lift-van, from Rainier Overseas. Costs sums up to $ 3800 approx. Totally worth when we spread the cost across the valuables we got. ( Branded clothes and shoes )

I was wondering abt few things to bring along.

1. School Supplies - Do they provide them at school...or we have to buy on our own. How expensive are they ? Would u guys suggest to bring some school supplies from here (USA) in specific (crayons, etc .,). Its a back to school season here, and things are crazy cheap now, so I was wondering what kind of school supplies would a kindy kid need.(my LO is turning 3 this december.. And I want to stock up some, for future use. )

2. Toiletries and cosmetics- Do they allow them in ur bags at the NZ airport ? Are they allowed in the shipment ? Can we buy new stuff and ship or bring along ? We arent planning to bring a lot, just 1 item each to start with. Shampoo, bodywash, conditioner, lotion, face cream etc.,

Have any of u had any issues bringing Make up brushes ? Planning to bring them new, and in original packs.

3. Pull ups/potty training nappies - Worth bringing atleast 1 pack ?

4. Umbrella stroller

5. Question for ladies out there .. what kind of dress code is common. Im asking because, I want to stock up on formal tops and pants, as my work-wear is a bit outdated and I outgrew them a little bit I had another friend say no one really wears serious formal-wear there.

6. Waterproof shoe - How do u ladies match your formal attire with the right type of shoes, if its raining ? Is it common to wear Casuals on choice while its raining . I know im being naive, but I have been thinking abt this for a long time..I have to ask.

I know all the stuff is umpteen times expensive there, but I am not gonna worry abt each and everything. I am just making sure am covered, during the settlement days..And then we would do just fine with the overly-priced , and limited-choice of things.

We will convince ourselves to equip our home with ultra-super-over priced things there, but I was only curious abt something that isnt totally unavailable at that side of world..like Bounce brand Dryer sheets.

Sorry if the questions are repititive. As long as I have digged here, i dont recall coming across these.

Please share your thoughts and views. Anything specific to kid stuff, pls dont hesitate to share even if its mentioned in the forum already.

Cheers
    Spk
    Last edited by peekaboo; 11th August 2010 at 06:03 AM.