Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of NZ citizenship?

Default Benefits of NZ citizenship?

Hi folks. We have PR and have been in NZ for almost the 5 years needed to apply for citizenship.

Whilst I would like to call myself a kiwi and have a kiwi passport, the cost of over $1000 for my family to apply is making me think, what have we to gain from it?

We have UK passports which still have years left on them, so I was wondering what is going to convince me that we should go for NZ citizenship?

All thoughts and ideas welcome. Thanks.

I don't think the benefit to you will be that big.

However the benefit to your children and your childrens children will be much more.

..I guess it also gives you and your family the option to reside in Australia too. If you fancied the west island that is

well, u can choose to live and work in Oz once u r NZ citizen so as to your kids. I think this is one big plus......
    When u go travel in middle east, with 2 passports is very convenient......
    u can be elected as an MP......

can join the NZ army ....

Quote Originally Posted by tweetyhk View Post
    can join the NZ army ....
    Not at my age.
    Last edited by Robbie2010; 11th August 2010 at 03:27 PM.

I believe it is easier to work in the US too, some agreement between the countries.

... with 2 passports is very convenient...
    Probably true in Billy's situation; however there are countries that allow to have only one citizenship, theirs or NZ's

...u can be elected as an MP......
    you can stand for MP in an election, and even for council / mayor now in the local authorities election you need to be citizen for standing

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Probably true in Billy's situation; however there are countries that allow to have only one citizenship, theirs or NZ's
    Does anyone know any countries where this is actually true? I know many (including the US) do not recognize dual citizenship, but I don't know of any that go to the trouble of revoking your citizenship just because another country also considers you a citizen.

...just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Does anyone know any countries where this is actually true? I know many (including the US) do not recognize dual citizenship, but I don't know of any that go to the trouble of revoking your citizenship just because another country also considers you a citizen.

...just curious...
    I know the UK does support dual citizenship, but for example Germany does not. In order to get a German passport for my children I had to register the birth with the German authorities, apply for a passport for them (so I could truthfully answer the question are they are national of another country....er not yet!) ...then register the birth with the UK and finally apply for a UK passport....

When it came to renewing their German passports, I didn't bother because they had effectively gained German citizenship.

Once they get NZ citizenship, they will be tri nationals (that's like the tri nations only The AB's don't win every game )....then if they apply for a German passport once again we can truthfully answer the question "Are you a national of another country ....er no ...I'm a national of TWO other countries"

Not sure it'll stand up in court though

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast