Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Booking flights - baggage allowance

Default Booking flights - baggage allowance

I'd like to ask the oracle of our pooled experience & knowledge:

Is there a short cut to finding out about baggage allowances on flights to NZ?
    Been trawling airline websites, the exotic ones seem the worst for finding much info. An hour on line has produced just two answers so far. eyes:
    There must be an easier way to search for the information?

• Air New Zealand - 23kg
    • Royal Brunai - 20 kg

Basic selectors are:
    economy class
    one way
    October
    2 people

Obviously the emigrating forumite is looking for max luggage for min cost, from the ever fluctuating airline regulations . . . thanks all in anticipation of replies.

We travelled with Singapore airlines at the end of June. With a one way ticket and an unused Residence Visa they offered double allowance in economy which meant we had 160kg for the 4 of us. This was hard to ascertain, but they did endorse the tickets and we had no problem from LHR, even with a three day stopover in Singapore.

However we had to make arrangements to get our luggage to London as the domestic UK flights did not have the same limit, eventhough booked at the same time.

I seem to remember other people saying that they have extracted an emigrant's rate from some airlines only by phoning up - and if you do strike lucky, get the official to email you the details, and carry a printout with you, as people at check-in are often not up to speed with their own organization's policy, so could challenge you and cause hassle. You want to know what department or who the supervisor on the day is going to need to phone to sort it out.

Air NZ don't do any concession. It used to be that they would tell people to go via LA for the American double baggage allowance, but that doesn't exist any more.

Air NZ is pretty cheap for a second bag (£150), so make sure that you consider that. However, I'd really advise flying from LHR as trying to sort out the extra bags with internal flights is a total mare. I spent hours on the phone, on email, and got different answers evrytime. In the end I needed to get AirNZ supervisor in AKL to call BMI supervisor in Delhi (don't ask) and then make a record of it on the AirNZ system so that when I got to Manchester then the BMI desk supervisor could call AirNZ and get the details of who had agreed it. In the end it was chaos at Manchester as there were flights cancelled and their entire computer system had broken so they just believed me, took an imprint of my credit card on one of the old roller thingies and just said they believed me.

Emirates have a standard 30kg allowance for all economy flights; and also fly to some regional airports in the UK if you want to avoid Heathrow.

But, if you are emigrating, then the Singapore 40kg special emigration allowance is the best that you can get nowadays.

We flew in via Thai Airways and their baggage allowance was only 20kg. However we requested for extra and got 30kg. Then at the airport an allowance of 5kg is normally given. So for the 4 of us ( 2 adults & 2 kids ) we loaded into the plane 30kg X 4 plus 5kg X 4 = 140kg.
    Subsequent, we had 2 out of the 3 hand luggage chucked out of the cabin due to the size of it and that got added to our cargo luggage. In the end I have no idea what our total weight was but we got away with it.

Emirates from LHR-Dubai-Auckland is allowing 30Kgs and economy flight costs about £670 one-way for Sep departures. The same fare is available at Kayak & Emirates official website. You can choose to send extra stuff with sevenseasworldwide.com

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    Emirates have a standard 30kg allowance for all economy flights; and also fly to some regional airports in the UK if you want to avoid Heathrow.

But, if you are emigrating, then the Singapore 40kg special emigration allowance is the best that you can get nowadays.
    Emirates allowed us double when we came here 3 years ago

I'm heading off in September via US with a BA/Quantas flight combo that gives me 2*23kg (from the Quantas flights) which I'm assured by BA people is extended to the BA leg (Heathrow > Miami - I'm going the scenic route!).

This thread had some discussion of prices and baggage allowances.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30254

Meant to add - when I asked about emigrate baggage allowance with Quantas and other airlines, partnership residency visa's didn't count!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast