Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Immigration Agents

Default Immigration Agents

Hi all,

What is the consensus on Immigration Agents? Are they worth the money? Can they speed up the process? How easy is it to do yourself?

I'm in London and there are loads of options all charging different amounts to assess your eligibility and then file your application for you. I like the sound of them, because it would be very reassuring to have someone with experience looking at my application and making sure there are no mistakes, but then if I do go with one, how do I choose which one?

I wouldn't bother unless your situation is rather complex. this forum is super helpful, we did it all ourselves

So you mean one should save the money? A friend of mine had an Immigratin Agent when she was trying to get a green card for America. She was pretty satisfied with the service.

if i was off to the states or aussie then yes, NZ immigration is perfect for DIY immigration though.

better to go your self if you have enough time,
    and if you dont have use registered migration agent

http://www.iaa.govt.nz/

Shazeb

In the case of NZ immigration, agents are a bit like management consultants, meaning they borrow your watch and then charge to tell you the time...

Only you have the full knowledge of your situation, and you also have the necessary technical skills to tell NZIS all about it, i.e. if you can pull together enough brain matter to register for and post to this forum, then you can probably figure out the EOI website.

Hello Big Red,
    Immigration advisors (registered with IAA) will be helpful based on your circumstances. Most of our applications were straight forward and you will come across several people who haven't used formal Immigration advisors but made it through; so the most likely answer you will get is "D I Y". However, there's no fast track of application if you use Immigration Advisor, its just that they will spend time on your behalf on arranging document (bigger task is to have those documents which is again your responsibility).

Hope this helps, do pop up your questions and people here are more than helpful to support you through.

I asked the same question in 2008 and did a poll to check people's experience:

45 responded

• 3 had used an agency and 2 were glad they did and one wished they'd used an agency

• 42 had managed the immigration process without an agency and all but one were glad they did

see: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17313

In terms of the results I think this forum would be disproportionately dominated by people who who are doing it themselves and using the forum as a source of feedback and advice.

I guess the decision to using and agent of DIY depends upon:

1. How complicated and difficult the journey through immigration might be for you.
    2. How much money you have to spare.
    3. How much time you have to spare.
    4. How much you want/need the support of an external advisor to get you through the process.
    But I decided to DIY ... so far so good. Our situation appears 'relatively' straightforward and I don't think we'd have saved any more time using an agent. I went to a presentation by New Life New Zealand and they seemed excellent. But in some ways I feel more in control DIY, and would only be having to gather all the info anyway to pass on to them. I've got lots of excellent help from people on this forum too - so I'm keen to be reciprocate and maintain forum standards!!

Best of luck whatever you decide. No right or wrong IMHO but what suits you best.

It's funny that you say you feel more in control DIY as it is precisely the fear of not being in control that makes me want to use an agent. Having someone there to answer questions on my application and the reassurance that I have done everything correctly would make me feel a lot more assured about the whole thing.

On the other hand I don't want to just throw money away that could be better spent on shipping, flights or whatever. Especially if there's a risk that going through a third part could actually slow down my application, rather than speed it up.

The majority of the work involved in an application is getting together the documentary evidence to prove everything you've claimed points for in the EOI. You have to do this yourself regardless of whether you DIY or use an agent.

I think most people are of the opinion that if your application is relatively straightforward then you may want to DIY and save money. However if it's likely to be complex or involve waivers of varying types then an immigration advisor can be very useful. In our case I think the lawyer was worth every penny but that's more because I'm not sure we'd have got PR without him.

This forum is a great source of prods in the right direction and really, the SMC route isn't a tricky one to DIY if you have the points & proof of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast