Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to live in auckland with 2 dogs?

Default Where to live in auckland with 2 dogs?

Recently found out if you have two dogs you cant live in the ithmus area of auckland which i think is the city?

My job is based in Penrose in the city and wondered what areas were nice in either Manukau or the North Shore with reasonable commuting distance, we are two 25 year olds so dont want to be too secluded?

I'd like to see an answer for this too, thanks terrimoore for raising it

When I first saw your post I thought you were making stories or somebody was telling your fairy tales so I can to look at it myself. OP you are correct and here it is with all the links:

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/coun...law/part12.asp
    12.5 Limitation of the Number of Dogs and Provisions for Dispensations

No owner or occupier of any land shall allow:

1. more than one dog, over the age of three months, to be kept on any land or premises for more than 14 days on:
    1. any part of the Isthmus area of the District;
    2. any property of less than 2 hectares on Great Barrier Island.

2. more than two dogs, over the age of three months, to be kept on any land or premises for more than 14 days on Rakino Island or the urban area of Waiheke Island (see map);

Any owner or occupier of land on any property of less than 2 hectares on Great Barrier Island; who was immediately prior to the commencement of this bylaw, lawfully keeping two dogs over the age of three months on that land, may continue to do so, notwithstanding clause 12.5.1, until the death of one of the dogs without a requirement to apply for a permit under clause 12.5.3.

Dog owners may apply to council for a permit to keep more than one dog on any land identified in clause 12.5.1 above. If the council considers that more than one dog can be kept on the premises without any adverse effects, a fee shall be payable to the council for the permit.
    Here is the map of the Isthmus:
    http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/coun...iewp/index.asp

Here are the general dog laws & by-laws with all the links:
    http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/coun...gs/default.asp

I know all kinds of people who have had more than one dog in these areas - suspect it is just a complicated way of saying you have to register your dogs with the council.

Quote Originally Posted by auskiwi View Post
    I know all kinds of people who have had more than one dog in these areas - suspect it is just a complicated way of saying you have to register your dogs with the council.
    Same here. I have friends down in Remmers & Kohi and they all have multiple dogs. They are all smaller dogs but 3 dogs is more than 1 regardless of the breed and would be a violation of the councile by-laws.

Yep, I know many people here with two dogs too- in the East Coast Bays. You have to apply and they are likely to inspect you but it doesn't exclude you from living here. Finding a rental may be a little harder though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigSaxon View Post
    Same here. I have friends down in Remmers & Kohi and they all have multiple dogs. They are all smaller dogs but 3 dogs is more than 1 regardless of the breed and would be a violation of the councile by-laws.
    Sorry, did you just say "Remmers and Kohi"? It's things like that that make me glad I live on the shore

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    Sorry, did you just say "Remmers and Kohi"? It's things like that that make me glad I live on the shore
    I don't get it (don't live in either Remmers or Kohi or the North Shore, could that be the reason ), 'splain, please?

Daniela

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    Notice I said "down in Remmers & Kohi"... my home in NZ is in Coatesville.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I don't get it (don't live in either Remmers or Kohi or the North Shore, could that be the reason ), 'splain, please?

Daniela
    I didn't know Remmers & Kohi were places to make fun of... I know of the "Parnell Dahling" jokes but that was really it. When we went into town it was usually to Mission Bay/Kohi/St. Heliers area.

Daniela, what exactly is considered "East Auckland"? Would that be the Bucklands area or is that too far east?
    Last edited by ColeyNZ; 13th August 2010 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast